PDA

View Full Version : "Home Defender"

Zeno
10-21-2003, 12:41 PM
My brother recently purchased a Mossberg 12-gauge pump action shotgun, 20 inch barrel and 8-shot capacity (7-shot with 3-inch shells). We had a shooting spree out behind our dad's garden plot in Oregon, where you can still do a few things on your own property without the conniving interference of liberals. I liked the feel and weight of the shotgun and had fun blowing various articles to shreds. My brother said he purchased the gun for only $225 at Bi-mart, on sale as the “Home Defender” model. Here is the Mossberg website shotguns (http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm)

I assume the shotgun he bought is probably the 500 model, #50577, so he got a great deal. Even the standard price of $341 sounds reasonable. Anyone have better suggestions on model and type of shotgun that would be a good “home defender” and also be useful for some sport shooting, bank robbing, general threatening, and sundry other uses?

-Zeno

adios
10-21-2003, 12:49 PM
Read an editorial in the WSJ yesterday saying that gun control was a scare tactic used by the Democrates to scare the American middle class into voting Democrat. The editorial noted that Daschle had dropped his support for gun control in one way or another as it was a losing issue for Democrats. Also that the ban on Assault rifles was expiring soon and that there was little interest in Congress to renew it. That home defender sounds like one "bad" weapon. It might be interesting to see the "baddest" weapons that the posters here own.

HDPM
10-21-2003, 01:55 PM
The Remington 870 is the main one to compare. I think the remington has an edge in durability and action. I also prefer the set up of the safety. It is slightly more expensive than the mossberg, but is in the same price range. You can pick them up at discounters for less than 300 all the time. There are a lot of them out there so accessories and parts are plentiful. You can get different barrels for them too I believe. The mossberg is a good weapon however nad is entirely serviceable. To a great extent the mossberg/remington debate is just ford/chevy. I am not a big fan of the winchester 1300 which is in the same class as these. I don't like the safety in front of the trigger.

You can't go too far wrong with either.

Gamblor
10-21-2003, 02:07 PM
In service, I "owned" an M16 assault rifle.

baggins
10-21-2003, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It might be interesting to see the "baddest" weapons that the posters here own.

[/ QUOTE ]

my fists... and i guess my steel-toe boots.

HDPM
10-21-2003, 02:19 PM
All gun control has ever been is a scare tactic or a deliberate means to consolidate political power by an oppressive regime. In the US it started because of fear of racial minorities and now it is used by politicians to get votes from people who know nothing about guns. Wonder why my state had a statute titled "Selling firearms or ammunition to Indians" which was only repealed in 1949?

HDPM
10-21-2003, 02:20 PM
well, move out of commieville and away from Richard II and you can own something more effective. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

baggins
10-21-2003, 02:27 PM
commieville?

that's hilarious. i live with my parents.

i don't really care to own any weapons. if i can't talk my way out of a fight, then i'd prefer to go in fists swinging than with a gun or a knife.

HDPM
10-21-2003, 03:13 PM
by "commieville" I meant Illinois. It had nothing to do with your parents' house. Illinois gun control laws are worthy of Stalin's regime. Needing a FOIA card to get any gun, banning handgns in certain areas, making carry impossible etc.... But it has made Chicago a safe, gun free city, right? And Richard Daley is an advocate for his own form of totalitarianism which is much worse than his father's brand. At least back in the day money had influence.

As to your choice not to have weapons, that is another issue and a choice I respect. (Although because you live in Illinois, your choice is very limited in this regard.) That is why I don't favor laws which make owning arms mandatory.

Rushmore
10-21-2003, 03:37 PM
I guess it's not all that "bad," but what I have for home defense is my uncanny wit; that is, my ability to negotiate my way out of any bad situation. For instance:

"Excuse me, Mr. ATF agent, but I believe you have the wrong house. You want the house over there." And when they turn to look in the direction in which I am pointing, I run away.

Or this one:

"Hehehe. Oh, no. it's the big bad "home invaders." Oooooh. Ski masks?! Please. Look, let's face it. We all know those guns aren't loaded, so why don't you just let my wife and kids go now, and scurry along. Go on. Pshaw!." Then, having confused the would-be rapist/murderers, I whip my cellphone out and dial 911 and the cops drive up with sirens and lights and everything (just like on the television), and then my family is safe.

Guns. Right. Who needs a gun?

HDPM
10-21-2003, 03:54 PM
I think it's a "FOID" card not FOIA card. Fortunately I don't know exactly since I live in a free state and don't need such a card. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

baggins
10-21-2003, 05:41 PM
ah. i see. well, since i don't care to own guns, i haven't really paid much attention to my state's gun laws.

although i do agree that gun control policies are a joke. they don't stop violent criminals from obtaining guns illegally.

MMMMMM
10-21-2003, 05:44 PM
I'd recommend at least a good pickaxe handle for home defense if you are resolutely opposed to guns. A knife is no match for a pickaxe handle, and a pickaxe handle is not too unwieldy to be effective in tight quarters. A quarterstaff however is better suited to outdoor sports, but given sufficient space it can defeat not only a knife but a sword.

Also, if you don't like guns, you might consider a compact high-powered crossbow. A crossbow has the added advantage of being better able to hold an intruder at bay while you call the police, as somebody might be willing to risk getting hit with a bullet but nobody wants a crossbow bolt buried in their chest. Also if the guy has a knife and you shoot him in the thigh with a crossbow he isn't going to keep coming after you.

Ray Zee
10-21-2003, 07:25 PM
rem870 and moss are decent guns. they do sell in the 200 plus range for the bare bones models. having safety on top is best for home defence as its more apparent to get to.
i like a double as there is no messing up. just pull the trigger and it goes off. and easy to check to see if it is loaded and with what. so i think it is more safe for most people. but the extra shots are much preferred from a pump or auto.
best for everyone is to have a spot in the house to defend oneself. like the cat in the corner. it can be a room or closet. but a place no one is going to get in much less out.

forget about what you see in the movies. one blast from a gun and all robbers are running out the door.

Zeno
10-22-2003, 12:23 AM
M (and Baggins),

A very good hand weapon is a good old fashion Alpine (mountaineering) Ice axe. I have an older one that I cut down from 105 centimeters (cm) to about 80 cm. There are smaller and specialty versions but the longer alpine ones are the best. They can be used quite effectively and are very lightweight and strong. If you have every seen one you will know what I mean, just the sight of it should scare off most would be attackers. It is not really designed as a weapon but can be used as one, and a vicious one at that, and more effectively than a pickaxe handle. Of course a good hickory baseball bat is very useful also.

-Zeno

Zeno
10-22-2003, 12:43 AM
That was one thing I didn't like about the Mossberg model that I shot - the safety was small and down by the trigger guard I think. I did not like the safety set up but that was the only think I disliked.

I like the idea of the safety up top and would prefer a model with one there or better placed than the Model 500 Mossberg.

There is much to be said about the old standard double barrel 12-gauge; No One likes to be looking at the wrong end of that baby.

-Zeno