PDA

View Full Version : Nut flush out of position. How do I maximize my profit?

ZeeJustin
10-20-2003, 06:48 PM
.50/1 NL HE at Stars, a loose game. The only player I know folds this hand preflop, so it's a bunch of unknown players. I play this game a lot, and I know none of these people are regulars, and since I'm sitting at 4 tables out of the 6 at once, I can tell you none of these players are doing the same (which usually indicates skill). This means it's pretty safe to assume I'm not up against great competition.

In my second hand I get dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the SB.
First 3 to act fold. The next 4 people limp. I'll refer to them as MP1 (first limper), MP2, LP1, LP2 (button). I'm next to act in the SB, and I call. BB checks.
6 of us see the flop.

Flop:
4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
I check, BB checks, MP1 bets $1 (minimum), and everyone calls.

Turn:
(4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif) T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I now have the nut flush. I decide to check it, and it's checked to LP1 who bets $4. LP2 folds. I decide to call because I don't want to knock players out. BB Folds. MP1 calls. MP2 folds.
3 of us see the river. We all have stacks somewhere between $60 and $90, with mine being the largest.

River:
4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif) 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
I decide to bet half the pot ($11) hoping that a 4 will raise me if its out there, and maybe someone with a ten will raise me. My logic was that there are about just as many hands that will bet the river as there are that will raise the river, so I should probably bet. In hindsite, I'm pretty sure that logic is flawed.

How would you have played the hand differently? I'm sure I could have made more money somehow.

tewall
10-20-2003, 07:06 PM
You should bet the turn for two reasons, I think. First of all, you want to charge any hands a price to beat you. Secondly, there's a good chance that will maximize your win. Just because you raise is no reason they'll put you on a made flush.

happyjaypee
10-21-2003, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just because you raise is no reason they'll put you on a made flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus you might very well get raised by a leaser flush.

-Happy /images/graemlins/laugh.gif