PDA

View Full Version : Lay Down in P/L Hold 'Em how wrong was I?

pokerbreathdan
10-20-2003, 04:11 PM
i am new to pot and no limit hold 'em. i know the answer to this question in limit is check/call.

pot limit .25/.50 blinds

i have $32.00 in front of me ($25 max been there 1 round of blinds)

3rd position i get K /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

i limp in b/c it is an extremly loose table and about 7 out of 10 flops are raised beforehand. i was hoping to re-raise.
i have a tight table image at this site and the loose players generaly fold instead of raising when i raise in early position.

this time every one limps in. 7 total players.
pot is $3.50

flop 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

both blinds check to me. i bet $3.50

2 callers.

$14.00 pot less rake.

turn 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I am first to act. I bet $5.00

Second person (fairly tight he check called a set of Jacks when i flopped a set of 7's in a previous game b/c i had raised pre-flop and AK made a straight at the turn)
Raises $15.00

3rd player folds

I think ok he has nuts or high flush, or 7's full or he could have flopped nines full hoping I was on a heart draw. He wouldn't be holding a three I think b/c he doesn't play like that. If he doesn't have nuts a heart will help if he has the Ace High Flush,7's full or 9's full the only card that can help me is the king.

I lay it down. He turns over Pocket Jacks.

Was this as bad of a laydown as I am thinking?

dan

Jon Matthews
10-20-2003, 04:29 PM
I think you assumed to many powerful hands were out there to get you, like 7's full for example. You can't fear full houses every time the board has paired and someone shows strength.

Another very likely hand would be 97, he'd be hoping that A9 is out there and beat his 2 pair with his 7's and 9's or force a laydown. You have this strangled with your K's and 3's.

I would probably push on the turn, I obviously wouldn't fear 2 pair and I'd grit my teeth and pray there isn't a set out there or a 3.

Limping with the intention of reraising here was a mistake because you need the pot to be raised for sure and you have no problem calling a reraise with that hand. By limp reraising or calling a reraise you're giving plenty of information away anyway so you may as well be first in.

Jon

pokerbreathdan
10-20-2003, 05:50 PM
what about the flush? thanx in advance

dan

tewall
10-20-2003, 06:16 PM
I might have check-raised the turn given your image. There's a good chance they might fold, putting you on a 9's full. If not, you have a lot of outs. There's no reason to assume your flush outs aren't good.

BTW, if you had raised pre-flop, JJ might have left, fearing a big pair.

I don't think your limp was too bad. In addition to wanting to re-raise (a good plan), you have the advantage of having disguised your hand (which unfortunately worked against you). I don't think a 70% chance is high enough, though. Playing out of position is difficult, and raising pre-flop helps you play your hand in several ways.

Jon Matthews
10-21-2003, 09:14 AM
what about the flush?

I don't think a high flush would raise this big on the turn. That hand can afford to keep players in. A small flush may do this to protect his hand from a bare ace or king drawing and in which case the money's not that deep so you may as well push as you have the king. It's 3:1 with one card to come to make the king high flush if he does have a small one but there's lots of other hands he could have. Also in this case, you have 4 more outs to a boat (2K's and 2 3's) increasing your chances a bit.

Cheers,

Jon.

pokerbreathdan
10-21-2003, 09:50 AM
thank you