PDA

View Full Version : Fold the set???

The Ram
10-20-2003, 03:26 PM
2-4 NL @ Stars:

BB w/ 55. 2 limpers and SB calls up, I check.

Flop: 6-4-3 rainbow. SB bets $4 (minimum). I called. Wrong?? One limper calls.

Turn: 5. Now what do I do? I have a set on a 3-4-5-6 board. SB bets $4 again, I chose to raise to $16. Limper makes it $40, SB makes it $64.

Can I keep calling, knowing that limper might go in for another $115 or so? If the board pairs I am pretty much assured a win, but I'm only 10 in 46 for that, and even that assumes neither of them touched the board aside from the straight draw.

I chose to call, and sure enough, the limper moved in and the SB called. Can I call again? I assume that at this point I am obligated, but I don't know. (FYI, the SB had me covered for another $100 or so if the board paired on the river).

Did I totally misplay this hand?

Magikist
10-20-2003, 03:46 PM
misplayed on every street. Who here agrees?

Jon Matthews
10-20-2003, 04:03 PM
I probably wouldn't critcise the play up to the flop, I'd have a hard time folding to a min bet there, but you should fold to the $4 turn bet. It's an unraised pot with the SB among others, it's so likely you're up against a made hand here, you should probably not draw for all your money on one card (which you knew was likely) and muck.

Raising the flop would have been a better place to do it, put the drawing hands to the test?

Jon

tewall
10-20-2003, 04:34 PM
This is an interesting hand. One the one hand, you only have one card working for your draw, which is a bad thing. On the good side, since you have two 5's, that makes it less likely someone else has one, so if the straight comes, it will probably be good. It's not likely someone has a 57 or a 25. Since you have 8 outs you got about a 1 in 6 chance of hitting your straight, and you should make 24 if you get it, so you have odds to call. So calling is better than folding.

How about raising? If this were heads up, I would definately raise. With 3 opponents I think I'd lean towards calling, depending on their ability. The better they were, the more likely I'd be to raise.

On the turn you could call the $4 bet if you were pretty sure it wouldn't get raised behind you. You definately shouldn't raise. There's too great a chance you'll be re-raised.

ZeeJustin
10-20-2003, 05:09 PM
IMO you are correct preflop and on the flop. On the turn, I like your raise, however, I would think one of the points of the raise is to gain information. The information you gain shows that you are beat, yet you still continue anyways. You should definately fold after your raise got reraised.