PDA

View Full Version : Did I play any/all of this correctly?

The Ram
10-20-2003, 01:28 PM
PokerStars 2-4 NL:
In cutoff w/ QhTh. Folds to me, I make it $12 to steal. Just the SB calls, so we're heads up going to flop.

Flop is Kh-Qc-3h.

SB checks, I bet another $12, and the SB raises $16 back to $28. At this point, I have middle pair and a 2nd nut flush draw, and there is $84 in the pot w/ $16 to me.

Clearly I can't fold, but what is the play here?

My choice was to call here. The turn came a black ace, SB bets $25. I'm now looking at $109 w/ $25 to me w/ 3rd pair, flush draw and a gutshot, so somewhere from 12-14 outs, possibly 17 if T's are clean outs, but that's a lot to assume. But, by now i'm quite likely behind.

I called again--is that OK?

River was another offsuited ace, and we both checked. (I think a bet there is wrong, but please let me know if otherwise).

(Turns out he just had baby hearts and was drastically overplaying his flush draw.)

I would appreciate any/all thoughts/advice on this one.

tewall
10-20-2003, 01:56 PM
You should raise with this hand on the flop. Even if your opponent has AK you are a slight favorite. Generally speaking, calling with draws is a poor way to play them. First of all it's bad because you generally won't have odds to draw at them. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, if you are only aggressive with made hands you make it too easy for your opponents to play correctly against you. They won't pay off your draws when you hit and they'll get out when you have made hands.

ML4L
10-20-2003, 03:03 PM
Hey Ram,

I reraise the pot on the flop and call all-in if re-raised. You have a huge hand, but ONLY if you get to see the turn and river. If he had bet the pot on the turn, you would have had to fold. Another benefit is that by reraising big, you either get the nut-flush draw (a hand that might have you in bad shape) to fold or go all-in as a dog. I also agree with everything that tewall said...

And given your call on the flop, I think you played the rest of the hand well...

ML4L