PDA

View Full Version : Danger Signs

Louie Landale
10-20-2003, 01:13 PM
Was playing all day in a moderately OK game. I decided to browse some of the other games. I look over the shoulder at the Omaha h/l game and its the show down: Board is 2256Q, player D had KK62 for Kings-Up ..err.. I mean trip 2s with a K and player E had A233 for the nut low and trip 2s with an Ace. Never-the-less, the dealer was splitting the pot and nobody was complaining. I stared for about 30 seconds before I saw the 2sFullOf6s.

I said to myself "How often do I missread a hand. I guess I won't play Omaha today". What I should have said was "I've been playing for 11 hours, its late, the game really isn't very good, and I'm so tired I cannot even read the hands correctly. Adios".

In the course of the next hour I willingly raised and called with 2-outs twice, played "tricky" 4 hands in a row, complained when T7s "didn't hold up" from middle position, and blew off half my win.

When your judgement is bad so is your judgment about your judgement.

I really should head the warning signs.

This stuff is much more important than knowing exactly when you can call a raise with AQ and when you shouldn't.

- Louie

Mike
10-20-2003, 01:58 PM
Truer words were never spoken!

"When your judgement is bad so is your judgment about your judgement."

Took me a long to time to realize that a four hour losing session is not usually improved by tacking on at least another four hours worth of play trying to catch back up.

BigEndian
10-20-2003, 02:02 PM
When your judgement is bad so is your judgment about your judgement.

That should be on a bumper sticker.

- Groove

slavic
10-20-2003, 02:38 PM
I've only done this a half dozen times but I've won each time I've done it:

Go to the local card barn at 6am on Saturday morning. The all night crowd is still there. Most of these people can hardly sit up, but they are there. I buy into the 10/20 play 3 or 4 hours and walk out with enough spending money to have fun with the kids on a saturday.

Most of these people are good players but to play poker well is exhausting, and when you get tired you make mistakes. One of them is continuing on.

Now watch this saturday I'll get myself stuck a grand.

lil'
10-20-2003, 02:50 PM
We get a lot fewer posts about the psychological aspects of poker, and it is a huge part of the game. When I worked for DYS (Department of Youth Services) we talked to the kids about what their warning signs were, to help them realize when they were about to become so angry they lost control.

I think everyone needs to be in touch with what their warning signs are for losing control at the table. The fact that Louie still has trouble spotting this makes me think that this is a lifelong battle!

onegymrat
10-20-2003, 03:54 PM
It is the most troubling part of my game and I can't seem to recognize it. Two things happen to me generally: I start off winning around 10-15 big bets in the first hour and then I'll either gradually gain another 10-20 big bets and leave when I'm a bit tired, or lose all the winnings and another chunk of change and end up trying to chase it all night. By that time, of course, I'm too tired to recognize anything, and all the "what ifs" start coming out.

Mike
10-20-2003, 06:16 PM
I have watched too many people be up four or more racks only to leave less than eight hours later broke. I've learned from watching many players be up 12+ BB, and leave to go enjoy a dinner or a movie. I like the second crowd better.

This may start a brushfire, but here goes. I use both a BB limit and a time limit. We all know we are only likely to make xx BB off a table or during a session. I know a good session for me is xx BB. Once I hit that number I am close to going home. I also know after two hours my focus starts sliding, so I normally call it a day after four or so hours no matter where I am BB wise.

One great example, a player I know played 36 hours straight for ~ 4.5 BB profit at the end. He could have made more on the street corner in an hour with a sign and a cup!

Louie Landale
10-20-2003, 07:37 PM
Brush Fire Ho!

Just because "X" may be a realistic good win does NOT mean you should leave after you get "X". In fact, the most profitable hours you can spend is playing while winning. You play better and the opponents play worse; or you are just playing great today, the opponents are playing poorly, or your strengths match up to their weaknesses nicely, even if you aren't aware of it.

Now if you "X" win tends to coincide with your downward ability to play, then by all means quit. But you are quitting because of your useful but arbitrary time limit.

- Louie

Al_Capone_Junior
10-20-2003, 07:48 PM

anatta
10-20-2003, 08:33 PM
Bad luck is worse than bad judgment!

Yesterday, I never got a good hand...Can you believe it? After 8 hours, I decided that if I just watch the World Series, I would get my head together and get back even. Then I decided to limp with 95s. Flopped a pair of fives AND a flush draw. Of course, I hit nothing, some idiot limped in with AKo and won with a pair of aces. The moron didn't even bet the river, which I was prepared to call, so I got a free showdown. Damn, I am sick of playing my ass off only to get no help at all from Lady Luck.

Seriously, when I saw that Louie was playing the T7s, I felt better about the abortion that was my game.

Bandorn
10-20-2003, 08:44 PM
I like the 4 hr session. Thats a good time to take a break. And I mean a break about 2 hours r so. Go eat a dinner, see a movie or just take a nap. Then deside if yuo are ready for more. But thats conditional on me not being on a winning streak, Id keep playing till that seems to slow down. Then stop. But Id never stop after I just hit XX number of bets. Playing multiple short sessions a day with breaks in between will keep yuo mentally fresh.
Also if yuo find yuorself sitting there bored. Get up and leave the table. Yuor minds not into the game so why sit there and be miserable ,plus loose yuor money.
And last make sure yuo get a good nite/day sleep. Get some food and light exercise. Yuo will be alot more mentally alert afterwards. You will find that yuor stamina level is much higher too. Just incase yuo run into that great live game that lasts about 12hrs.

Mike
10-21-2003, 12:13 AM
Yep, that's how I see it. Those days when everything goes really good, and I am up say 20,25 or more BB, the game is no longer good - I have killed it. There is nothing to hang around any longer for except to bleed back chips.

If I play about four hours and I am either flat or losing, the game also is not very good. Time to leave.

Some days after only three rounds I am gone because the game is not very good for me at that time.

The game goes just about any time I feel like playing. I don't need to glue myself into a poker chair like it's the last game on earth.