PDA

View Full Version : How do you like these Omaha turn checks fellas?

DanS
10-20-2003, 03:57 AM
Hi all,
I've been playing recently in a Norcal Omaha/8 4-8 1/2 kill game that is simply incredible. I've been making 3+ bb/hr, though I must assume that that's not my true rate, as I only have 225-250 hours logged. But then again, people in this game routinely play 3557ds and K772ss, so I wouldn't be surprised it if my win rate is around there, as the drop is only $8/hr.

Anyway, here's my question/dilemma. I'm not one for much subtlety in LL O/8, but I've wondered about checking the turn when I have the board paralyzed for high on the turn, with no low possibilities, and a very loose preflop and passive postflop table. Here's two hands from a recent session where I deviated from my bet with the nuts, bet with outs, bet with odds, bet for value, bet, bet, bet strategy:

1) I'm in the SB with AKTTds. The BB raises, and there's 6 to the flop. Flop is T77r. Nice. I bet, three call. Turn is a 9, I check . Checked through. River is a 6, I bet, two calls, my hand is good.

2) I have KKxx in the BB, 5 players to the unraised flop. Flop is K95 two clubs, four of us take the turn with a capped flop. Turn is the 9 of clubs, with completes the flush as it fills me up. I check. The river is an 8. The SB bets, I call, there's an overcall, and I beat 95 and who knows what. Who likes the turn checks, and who thinks that I left a bunch of bets on the table?

Dan

crockpot
10-20-2003, 07:32 AM
i like a bet on both turns. i would only check if i thought there was a good chance to get in a check raise with a bet on my left.

first hand, you want to charge a 7, overpair or straight draw. if all the players have just low draws, it is unlikely they will hit something good on the river anyway.

second hand, you may have lost several bets by not betting the turn. why check? the flush has made, someone probably has a lower full. get some money in there! the pot is so big that none of these players are going to fold a flush. who knows, they may even call with QJTx.

slowplaying is really virtually never correct in limit o/8, and i would really only do it to induce a bluff from an aggressive opponent. in a loose game you are better off just squeezing every last drop of value that you can from your hand.

chaos
10-20-2003, 08:12 AM
I do not like either check. You missed out on a bunch of bets. Many of these weak low limit players just look at their hand and not what is the nuts. If they have what they consider a strong hand (trips, straight, flush) they will pay you off.

Are you playing at The Oaks?

Fistdantilus
10-20-2003, 09:25 AM
Sorry man, I don't have a clue as to why you would check either of these hands. (2nd hand) Flop is K95, it's CAPPED 4-way, and you CHECK the turn? I'm just not understanding why you wouldn't bet here. The pot is huge by now; why would people cap the flop and fold to a turn bet?

As for the first hand, checking seems right for a check-raise, but why not charge the 7's and straights for coming along? The bet you gained on the river overcall from the check was the bet you lost on the turn from the player with a 7.

Dunno. I just can't see what you had to gain from these checks. Loose-passives need to be bet/raised into.

Fistdantilus

Buzz
10-20-2003, 10:24 AM
"1) I'm in the SB with AKTTds. The BB raises, and there's 6 to the flop. Flop is T77r. Nice. I bet, three call. Turn is a 9, I check . Checked through. River is a 6, I bet, two calls, my hand is good."

Dan - I wonder why you checked the turn after betting the flop. If you checked the turn because the player immediately to your left always bets when you check and you were hoping to get in a check-raise but were fooled when your left-hand opponent crossed you up by checking, your check makes sense. Otherwise, it doesn't. It's possible an opponent could be holding the missing two sevens, but the odds against that are something in the neighborhood of twenty to one, as I recall. Thus you should expect to take it on the chin one time out of twenty, but the other nineteen times out of twenty you should collect here.

"2) I have KKxx in the BB, 5 players to the unraised flop. Flop is K95 two clubs, four of us take the turn with a capped flop. Turn is the 9 of clubs, with completes the flush as it fills me up. I check. The river is an 8. The SB bets, I call, there's an overcall, and I beat 95 and who knows what. Who likes the turn checks, and who thinks that I left a bunch of bets on the table?"

Again I wonder why you checked the turn. (I also wonder how the betting got capped after the flop). Sometimes varying your play is fine, but not with an almost pure profit hand. Check raising an overly aggressive opponent makes sense, but I vote for straightforwardly betting your hand.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

DanS
10-20-2003, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do not like either check. You missed out on a bunch of bets. Many of these weak low limit players just look at their hand and not what is the nuts. If they have what they consider a strong hand (trips, straight, flush) they will pay you off.

Are you playing at The Oaks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, at the Oaks. It's amazing how bad their low-mid limit hold 'em games are (by Bay Area standards), and how good the stud and Omaha are!

I'm glad you guys all agreed, though I already knew these turn checks were awful. I had recently had the whole table fold to a turn bet, and I was a little bit gunshy. Checking the kings full when the turn completed the flush was especially horrible.

Dan

DanS
10-20-2003, 03:01 PM
One more thing: I just realized how ludicrous my thought process was on the second hand. "I'm scared everyone's going to fold to my bet, but I'd like to get in a CR, because pocket 5s, K9, K5, or the nut flush has *got* to be out there." Anyway, I find Omaha/8 absolutely fascinating the more I play it, with the added bonus that it helps reduce my propensity to tilt when I play hold 'em, i.e., if you're going to get pissy when people chase with correct/incorrect odds in Omaha, you're not going to last very long.

Dan

iblucky4u2
10-21-2003, 05:05 PM