PDA

View Full Version : loosing alot of money lately

rjc199
10-18-2003, 09:27 PM
I'm down $50 in the past 300 hands. I know there is a leak in my game because I'm playing much tighter than everybody else during this period, but I'm losing too much with a 2nd best hand and not winning enough when I'm best.

Lately in the 0.5/1 games (which I only play) I've been catching costly 2nd best hands and not realizing it. As you know the tables are typically passive and I think I'm not giving enough respect to raises coming from passive players. I'm going to post some hands for specifics.

GuyOnTilt
10-18-2003, 09:42 PM
Read Gambling Theory and Other Topics by Mason Malmuth.

rjc199
10-18-2003, 10:34 PM
What is in there that I should know about. I don't have the book and I'm looking for a simple answer without having to go buy the book?

Thanks

Bob T.
10-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Lets say that in your .5/1 game, the average pot is 8 bucks, 50 bets is only 6 pots away from average. That isn't even a statistical bump.

50 big bets is normal variance, sometimes it comes your way, and you think you are a genius, and sometimes it goes the other way, and you try and figure out why the world suddenly is punishing you.

Dynasty
10-18-2003, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for a simple answer

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a major red flag.

The simple answer is "anything can happen in a meager 300 hands".

ResidentParanoid
10-19-2003, 11:10 PM
To give you some perspective, I used to play the 0.5/1 games a lot. It was not unusual to go 1000 hands with essentially 0 profit. It also happended that I would play that many hands and be down 100 BB.

Look up other posts on here about loose tables. There are many.

Those games are about as easy to play as it gets, since you just have to play tight, flop a hand or a draw, and play it straightforward. It takes patience, though. You get knocked out by someone with 24s from UTG who hits two-pair on the river sometimes. You also get paid off by him the rest of the time.