PDA

View Full Version : Poker Tracker Question

soda
10-18-2003, 09:22 PM
Ok - I got Poker Tracker and I love it! Well worth the 2 BBs it cost me.

Under the tab heading Misc. Stats it tells me how much money I've won or lost with High Card, One Pair, Two Pair, Three of a Kind, etc.

It looks something like this:

High Card: -539
One Pair: -1772
Two Pair: +3173
Three of: +3779
Straight: +1906

Now, my concern, of course is that I'm losing money at showdowns with high card and one pair. BUT, can this be avoided? It's a little like losing money in the blinds.

If you have Poker Tracker and your stats in these categories are better than mine, can you give me an idea of what can be accomplished here? You can pm me privately if that would suit you better.

As always, if anyone has anything to add, please feel free.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

soda

Nottom
10-19-2003, 01:35 AM
From what i recall, that counts what you hand would have been at showdown not just the times you actually made it there.

There is really no way to avoid losing money with hand you fold.

daryn
10-19-2003, 09:09 PM
i don't think this is true nottom. i think it only counts showdowns.. but it's explainable. think about how many times the action just checks down and you lose with high card J or something.

Nottom
10-19-2003, 11:16 PM
If thats true then I must have some big holes in my game because I am managing to lose with both 4-of-a-kind and Straight-flushes.

daryn
10-20-2003, 12:22 AM
mine doesn't show any losses with 4 of a kind or straight flushes. i really don't know what else to say here.

rharless
10-20-2003, 10:06 AM
Nottom is closest to correct here. Basically, it is all Party Poker hands where you go to the river, plus all Paradise Poker hands. (Not sure where Poker Stars fits in the mix.)

In more detail, it is all hands, if the host site's hand history prints the calculation of your final hand in the summary, regardless of if you played the hand or not. On Party Poker their final hand summary doesn't calculate your final hand if you folded before the hand is complete. Paradise, however, does do this calculation.

Party Poker sample line summary:

xxxx balance $127, didn't bet (folded)

Paradise Poker sample line summary:

xxxx didn't bet (folded) [ 6h 4s ] (high card king)

The first one is not included on that misc stats grid, but the second one is.

Your "total times" number and your "Saw Flop" number on that grid should be different. For example I have had quads 12 times altogether, but I only saw the flop 10 times. Two of my ultimately-quads hands were actually folded preflop.

I hope this helps.

MaxPower
10-20-2003, 11:03 AM
I looked at this recently and was suprised how little I am winning with one pair. I am winning with one pair but it is not a large number compared to 2 pair and higher. I am also losing with high card.

I'm not sure how this is computed though. If I stay to the river with a draw and then check-fold, does this get counted as a loss?

Nottom
10-20-2003, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically, it is all Party Poker hands where you go to the river, plus all Paradise Poker hands .

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, that makes sence since I mainly play on paradise, and I'm guessing most of the others play on Party.

rharless
10-20-2003, 11:10 AM
I believe -- if you play on Paradise yes it counts as a loss, if you play on Party then it does not -- due to the difference in their hand history formatting as I stated above.

ptrack pat might step in here and correct us. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

soda
10-20-2003, 12:20 PM
OK Max - so clearly it is possible to win with one pair - I'll work on calling down less. How many hands is this sample from?

Thanks,

soda

ptrack pat
10-20-2003, 06:45 PM
As usual Rachele, you are correct! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

daryn
10-20-2003, 11:16 PM
ok.. and since i play exclusively on party poker, i can now see where nottom and i would disagree.

ChipWrecked
10-21-2003, 12:35 PM
Does anyone know if an 'alias' can be set up between Empire and Party? It looks to me like it can't; I'd like to combine stats at those two.

Nottom
10-21-2003, 01:10 PM
I certainly don't see why not ... why do you think you can't?

DrSavage
10-21-2003, 02:15 PM
Yes, i set an alias to join Empire and Party stats and it works fine. You can also join your Pokerstars too, i don't see why not.

ptrack pat
10-21-2003, 05:46 PM
Yes, you can create unlimited aliases, even if you change your name on the same site at a later date. V1 used to restrict you but v2 does not.

squiffy
10-21-2003, 05:53 PM
I think this makes sense. I either read or got the general impression by dealing out random hands that the average winning hand in a lose multi-way low limit ring game would be about two pair.

But in order to get two pair, you may need to be in their with top pair top kicker, betting and raising. So you will inevitably lose some of these one pair hands.

All you can do it minimize the chances of losing by playing high card high kicker, or high suited connectors. And paying close attention to how much strength your opponents are showing, I would imagine.

soda
10-21-2003, 07:01 PM
I believe the reason I am losing money with one pair is because I simply call people down too much with one pair. My big pairs get cracked on the end, I get raised - I call 100% of the time. Clearly this is too often. I don't want people taking shots at me because it's tough to realize it quickly when playing as many short tables as I do. But, I'm losing money, so I need to adjust my strategy.

Over the last 3 days - I'm even in this category - A marked improvement. But, over the last 2 days, I'm actually winning money with 1 pair. I've been focusing on this and it's helped. My overall BB/hour has gone up considerably during this time frame as well.

This is the short term, but it feels like it's a good change long term too. Thanks for the responses in this thread.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

soda

MaxPower
10-21-2003, 08:34 PM
I've got 21,515 hands at 3/6.

I'm only winning $13 with one pair which I've had 633 times. I think I may be calling a bit too often and not value betting one pair enough.

I've had high card 129 times and lost $915. I looked at some of these. They are mostly drawing hands that got checked around on the river.

High card is the only thing I am losing with. High card has won 20% of showdowns and one pair has won 40%.

soda
10-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I think High Card is more of an issue than One Pair - With one pair it is probably possible to make a tidy profit, but with high card - all those times you miss draws, all the times everyone checks on the end despite having a better hand when you were going to fold anyway - these all hurt this statistic and skew the numbers bad.

BTW - I'm at 9,000 hands and down $1600 with one pair! Yikes.

soda

ChipWrecked
10-22-2003, 01:44 PM
Thanks, I must not be seeing the procedure properly. I'll dig deeper.

ramjam
10-22-2003, 04:46 PM
One important point to bear in mind (maybe you are but I wasn't sure from what I'd read) is that many of those "one pair" hands are where you have nothing but the board pairs. For example, looking in my database, the second-listed one pair hand that shows up is a $10 loss with AK and a board of QTT54.

soda
10-23-2003, 10:38 AM
Excellent point - I hadn't actually thought of that.