PDA

View Full Version : A Nearly Dandy Hand

Tommy Angelo
10-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Compared to some, this $20-40 game at LC's was gentle and honest. Several players limped. I was on the button with QJ. Sometimes I would raise in this situation but I didn't want to disrupt the peace, so I called.

Six players to the flop. The flop came A-T-8 rainbow. Everyone checked to me. This is one of the those seemingly critical decisions that doesn't much matter. When I bet in spots like this, it feels right. When I check, that feels right too.

This time, for whatever reason, I bet. One player folded and everyone else called. Five-handed now.

The turn card paired the eight. All checked to me and I checked too, glad I had bet the flop.

The river was a king, giving me a straight. With five players in, the river betting went: check, check, bet, and at this point I was totally zoomed in on everything, trying to decide if I was going to raise or call. Then the next player raised right in front of me, and now all of a sudden I had a third choice to consider... fold! Fold? Really?Naw, I decided. He could have me tied. Or maybe he misread his hand.

Thankfully, it is a rare sensation, after a checked turn, to call two cold on the river, and lose. He had K-8.

Looking back, being all about results, the flop bet was right, the turn check was very right (he would have checkraised with trip eights) and if only I could have found an impossible fold (was it?) on the river, this would have been a dandy hand.

Tommy

anatta
10-18-2003, 01:24 PM
I would have to say yes that's an impossible fold.

I love games so peaceful and, as you put it, "honest", that you don't want to rock the boat. You can just play Dr. Kevorkian killer poker instead of Charles Manson killer poker.

Diplomat
10-18-2003, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can just play Dr. Kevorkian killer poker instead of Charles Manson killer poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

I think I err on the Manson side. Paints a funny picture, don't you think?

-Diplomat

Dynasty
10-18-2003, 10:44 PM
That was not played unwell.