PDA

View Full Version : when to raise with enormous hand

creedofhubris
10-18-2003, 11:36 AM
5/10 table, fairly loose.

I've got 33 in the SB, three players limp, a raise, I call, and the limpers call. Five players in for the flop, which comes:

358 rainbow.

Perfect for me, I don't see this flop helping anyone else at all. I choose to sit, however, and let others bet for me (this is a loose table, everyone likes to fish and bet into raised pots.) Sure enough, two checks, then one of the MP limpers bets, the raiser calls, I call, and EVERYBODY calls.

(At this point, I put the better on 8x, the early raiser and everyone else on overcards; a big pocket pair would clearly be raising here.)

5 players in to see the turn, which is:

3. So now it's just a matter of getting as much money as possible into the pot. Again, I check, confident that the MP limper will bet again, and he does. ER calls.

Bet comes to me--do I raise here, possibly driving people out of the pot who might keep fishing, or do I call, and hope that they'll keep on to the river? Remember, I'm assuming everyone's on overcards, with maybe a small pair or two.

I chose to call. Both players after me called.

River is a blank, a 7 IIRC.

On the river, I check-raised: the MP player led off the betting again, the early raiser folded, I raised, both other players folded, initial better called.

So, after the quads hit, I got a total of six big bets into the pot.

Better off -- betting the turn? Raising the turn? Betting the river? Not raising the river?