PDA

View Full Version : What to do against weak players

Noodles
10-18-2003, 11:27 AM
I seem to keep getting caught by weak players,i make bets on the turn or river which i feel were justified but it then turns out some guy has a much better hand,here is an example.
empire .50/1$.loose passive.
I am in on the button with As Qd
2 MP limpers to me i raise,SB 3 bets,BB folds,1 MP calls,i call.
Flop [ 8h, Jh, 4s ]
SB bets,MP and i call.
Turn [ 2h ]
SB checks,MP and i check
River Ah
SB and MP check,i doubt if anyone is trying a C/R so i bet,
they both call
The SB had Ks Kd but the MP had [ Js 8c ]
So he had 2 pair on the flop.
Feel a fool for betting here even though it was right i thought,with these types is calling and checking best?.
Or should i should bet out and hope for the best?

Here is another example with the same weakie involved(he is EP1)
I am in LMP with [ Qc, Qd ]
2 EPs limp,i raise,BB calls,2 ePs call
Flop [ 9s, 7s, 9d ]
check,check,EP2 bets,I 2 bet,BB folds,EP1 calls,EP2 3 bets,we both call
Turn EP1 checks,EP2 bets,i fold,EP1 calls.
River [ 3s ]
EP1 checks,EP2 bets,EP1 calls.
Well EP2 had 3 nines and EP1 had [ 8s Qs ] for a queen high flush! I bet EP2 got a shock!

The only benofit i can see against these types is that you dont lose as much money when they beat you but should you continue betting when they are hanging around?

creedofhubris
10-18-2003, 11:49 AM
I was playing one of these guys earlier tonight. Wouldn't bet trips, wouldn't bet AK when an ace fell... maddening. I think the only strategy is to bet as if they're any other player who's check-calling, but be extra-wary of trips if the board pairs (my guy just sat on trips three times over the evening.)

If you're head-to-head with the guy, maybe consider checking the river more often, because you're more likely to be called by a hand that beats you (?) The problem is that these folks also seem to do a lot of fishing, so they're in a lot of rivers, and they can't always be sitting on a good hand.

ninja please
10-18-2003, 12:12 PM
playing against these players can be frustrating, but you are saving lots and lots of money on these hands compared to what you would lose playing against a better player with their hands. also, you will get much of it back when they call to the river with the same hands that don't hit.

my radar usually goes up once i've pegged one of these players and notice they are in check calling against me, but if my hand is good i won't slow down since it is as likely he has a set as it is no pair. the real adjustment you should make is to fold immediately if one of these players actually bets or raises unless your hand is really good. if they don't bet with KK or two pair, you know you're probably in trouble when they come out with any aggression. this is another way you save money against these players, since they make it such an easy fold on their best hands.