PDA

View Full Version : Learning PL from my mistakes

Josh W
10-18-2003, 09:41 AM
So, I was playing in a potlimit holdem game for the second time in my life. I'll admit I'm a little timid, which I shouldn't be, and I'm working on that.

I limp with QJs after one limper. One or two more limpers, and the SB, who is loose-aggressive raises to 15. Most/All call. $75 in the pot.

Flop comes Ks 9s 3h, giving me a gutshot straightflush draw. Woot.

Checked to me, and I check. I have the image of a rock. I've shown two hands in two hours, AA and JJ. I've played very few. I checked.

The button bets, he's fairly passive, he bet $60. I called. Only I called. I think I should have checkraised the pot at this point....but regardless, my question is on the turn...

The turn pairs the king, and i check. The button bets $100 into the $195 pot. I mucked without thinking about it. We both had about $800 more on the table.

Look, please ignore my flop play. maybe some of you like it, but i don't. Don't bother telling me I screwed that up...I've thought a lot about the many ways to play that street, and i think that most ways have merits.

On the turn, tho, who calls? Who raises? Who bets? Who folds?

My reasoning for folding was that I had 1 out to the nuts, and was possibly drawing to that one out. he was passive, and his flop bet screamed a real hand. he wasn't one to bet draws in a big field. My quick call on the flop had to scream of a draw.

Now, he has to think I'm on a draw, and he bets half the pot...it seemed suspicious to me, and I thought that there was a healthy chance I was drawing dead. If I wasn't drawing dead, I felt like I was giving up implied odds on the river. There were few/no cards that could come that i could bet. With the excpetion of an offsuit Ten, he wouldn't bet any worse hands. Sure, I could bet like $200 on the river when a small spade comes, and fold to a raise, but I don't love that play, either. Too often he won't call.

So, like I said, I feel like I had no implied odds, and would end up paying off huge when he had a boat....so I mucked...I was getting 3:1 on about a 3.0:1 shot...but I felt that the implied odds were negative. Is this a reasonable play?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

1800GAMBLER
10-18-2003, 11:10 AM
If your read on him is that strong then it's fine, i.e. P(boat) > P(trips). I think your flop play is the worst part though.