PDA

View Full Version : Why I Love the Yankees, Why the Yankees are GREAT for Baseball

Dr Wogga
10-18-2003, 01:17 AM
My Dad took his 4 sons to a doubleheader (they used to play those years ago - even scheduled them!). Taking the Staten Island ferry (yes, THAT Staten Island ferry), then the subways through the heart of Manhattan and on up to the Bronx with its tenement buldings and inner city squalor, the smells of beer, cigars, and greasy Sabrett hotdogs, the crush of people..........and then you enter......walk up the ramps - the never ending ramps if you're a little guy of 7 - and then you step out of the underbelly of the smelly concrete stadium and see the most gorgeous brilliant green baseball field. Right out of a god-dammed fairy tale. At that moment you're hooked. There are no other teams. None! OOver the years it never mattered if Steinbrenner is a scumbag, if Billy Martin was a sleazy drunk, if Reggie was an a-hole, if Babe and the Mick were such drunken louts that if they ever took care of their bodies they would've had records that players would be chasing forever. Don't matter. At that moment, the awe of the field set in among the scuzzy neighborhood that surrounds it - kinda like taking the ole tornado ride into Oz. You never forget those days. My Dad, all of 82 yrs old now, was just doing with his boys what his Dad had done with his. Took them to a ballgame. Took them to see the Yankees. The Yankees of Babe, Lou, Joe D, Mick, Roger, Yogi, Elston. Its just a tradition in my family and we don't apologize. We love our Yankees and the memories of these trips to the Stadium are even more extra special now, in that 2 of my brothers are no longer with us.

There ain't nothing better than playing in all these pressurized playoff and WS games. Eat your heart Chicago and Boston - you're just jealous! All you hear about is how much money George has spent - but it takes character as much as high-priced talent to win this many big games. I can understand why so many people hate the Yankees. But I maintain being hated is just as good as being loved - it creates interest. These playoffs, with 2 game 7s and a game 5 already, are going to end up being one of the highest rated baseball post seasons in history. I betcha Fox doesn't think the Yankees are bad for baseball.

Stop whining people. Beat the Bombers. That's all you have to do. The Angels, Arizona, and Cleveland have done it since '97. Love 'em or hate 'em - you can't stop talking about them. Face it. They are the greatest and most successful sports franchise in history. Great comments Aaron Boone made after being interviewed 18 zillion times after his walk-off homer: One he mentioned Jeter kept telling him "if we can just hang in there, the ghosts will take over" and maybe the best one of all "this is so unreal its stupid" How can you not love that? Try and tell me the guys that are in the Yankee clubhouse winning the pennant for the 1st time don't believe there is magic right there in the Bronx. Why? I don't honestly know. Babe Ruth's curse, his ghost, the other ghosts of previous BB legends? I don't think anybody can say, but how, HOW, HOW can one team continue to be so clutch, win so many big games, always seem to pull victories out of the jaws of defeat? While other teams just continue to find a way to lose? You tell me. Its happened with hundreds of different Yankee players, different rosters, over the last 75-80 years. The players change. The winning doesn't. Despite King a-hole Steinbrenner. Despite some of the bums who have worn pinstripes. Despite everything, they win.

Eat your heart out the rest of the world. We're in the series again Pop. God bless our Yankees Pop. We bleed pinstripes and we don't apologize. Beat us or watch us celebrate. Right Boston????

scalf
10-19-2003, 03:03 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif woggs ..best darned post anywhere in awhile...gl /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Dr Wogga
10-19-2003, 10:42 PM
....just getting tired of all the Yankee bashing. It gets old. Too many people refuse to acknowledge the accomplishments of this franchise. They just bitch and moan and whine because their team didn't get in. Look at the Atlanta Braves - they win the east every year for over a decade. Will probably have 3 pitchers from this run in Cooperstown, perhaps 2 everyday players as well. How many WS championships? One. That's sorry. Very, very sorry. Any Braves fan who complains about how much money the Yankees spend on their payroll is just a very jealous individual. Atlanta has had the Yankees twice in the WS, and lost both times - once with a 2-0 lead heading home for 3 games. Takes more than money to win championships pard'ner!

J_V
10-19-2003, 11:08 PM
Great post, I hate the Yankees, but what would do without them? Every He-man needs a Skeletor. Reminded me of my first trip to Wrigley.

Ashe
10-20-2003, 10:50 AM
/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

lil'
10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
I begrudgingly agree with your post.

I, for one, hate the "Yankees Suck" chant that has become so prevalent at Fenway. Even when the Yankees are playing in Canada people chant it. Hell, at the Patriots Super Bowl parade celebration people were chanting it.

I hate it because:
A) It's stupid to be obsessed with another team so much that you ignore your own success.
B) It's just plain wrong. They are awsome, as much as it pains me to admit it.

Do they have an unfair advantage with all that money? Yes, but Boston has a lot of money too and they have always pissed it away. Now if the Royals fans want to chant Yankees Suck, that would be understanable. Boston does it because they have an inferiority complex.

Dr Wogga
10-21-2003, 10:19 PM
....and I applaud you!

I agree wholeheartedly that other teams are so obsessed with the Yanks, they can't enjoy their own teams, without the 'Yankees suck' chant. Case in point - a few years back, a group of co-workers were going to Shea to see the Mets opener. I went despite being a Yankee fan - day out with the gang. Nice day, good time had by all, and the home team wins. On the way out, on OPENING EFF-ING DAY, the Mets fans start chanting 'Yankees suck' as they're leaving the stadium. OPENING DAY!! A game vs. another NL team naturally, and yet the bozos who cheer for the team with the orange shirts (are they putrid or what?) had nothing better to do than that. I'm glad teams who do that aren't in the WS.

Tuco
10-22-2003, 03:14 AM
New York fans in general are very ...um... focused with thier hatred. I went to a meaningless midseason Rangers/St Louis game at MSG a few years back. Midway through the third period the crowd starts chanting "Potvin sucks". I ask the guy beside me about it and he tells me they do it every game at the same time, precisely when Islander Denis Potvin broke Anders Hedbergs' leg 20 years ago. If that wasnt enough, SEVERAL people held Potvin dolls, complete with noose, over the balcony railings.

Then again, Ranger fans don't really have much else to focus on.

Tuco.

Dr Wogga
10-22-2003, 11:25 AM
....and so true, even to this day. The Islanders had their run from 80-83 - yet you'd think the guy was still playing. Most Ranger fans are akin to Mets fans - pathetic. And it serves both franchises right that they have kinda tumbled into the laughing-stocks of their respective sports, despite having huge payrolls. I think the Rangers had the highest payroll the last couple of years or pretty close.