PDA

View Full Version : bet the river?

cold_cash
10-17-2003, 05:17 PM
This is my first post of a hand here and I was just wondering if you guys could spot anything I did wrong, or exactly when I should have slowed things down a little bit.

I'm playing at Party .50/$1. So far things seem pretty typical, but I just sat down and don't really know much about anyone yet. I post and fold a few hands, then the button comes to me and I see K :club: K :heart:

Everyone folds to the CO who calls, I raise, SB folds, BB calls, CO calls.

3 of us see the flop which is: 6 :heart: 7 :spade: J :club:

Looks like a pretty good flop for me (I think). BB leads out, CO calls, I raise, both call.

Turn comes 8 :club:

Both check to me, I bet, both call.

River: 3 :spade:

Both check to me again, I bet, BB calls, CO folds.

BB turns over 7 :club: 6 :diamond: for the flopped 2 pair, and takes down an 11 big bet pot. I had a feeling I was in trouble at the turn for some reason, but looking back on it now I'm not sure why I felt that way. It seems like with 2 pair he would put in at least one raise, but I guess you never know.

I believe I was correct in betting every street (even though I was beaten), but my question is about my bet on the river. Is this one of those hands that I'll only get called by a better hand? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Nottom
10-17-2003, 05:29 PM
Easy river bet, if you don't bet this 100% of the time it is a mistake. Any J is calling you down and most smaller pairs as well. You have no reason to think you overpair is beat here without ever beeing raised.

Chalk this one up to a BB saved is a BB earned, because your opponent certainly saved you plenty of bets on this hand.

Aces McGee
10-17-2003, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this one of those hands that I'll only get called by a better hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Any jack will call you down in that game. He hasn't shown you much agression. I like the bet.

Aces McGee

J.R.
10-17-2003, 05:35 PM
You played fine, with time this weak-tight "I had a feeling I was in trouble at the turn for some reason" will go away.

The more I play, the more it seems like limit hold'em is a case of waiting for a big stick (good hand) and then beating my opponents over the head with it (betting and raising) while hoping the stick doesn't break (fearing the turn and river cards). I have found that the stick doesn't break as often I as first feared it would.

Yeknom58
10-17-2003, 05:57 PM
First some posting help.

Instead of K:hearts you can just write Kh, everyone will understand it will be easier to type and read.

Bet the river. At this limit definitly any J is going to call you down in addition to hands like A8,A7,99,1010 and the like. When the action on the turn went check, check, bet, call, call. I would be almost sure that I was ahead so with the 3s falling on the river I would bet it every time.

Aces McGee
10-17-2003, 06:09 PM
A little posting help. Instead of typing "1010" you can just type "TT"; everyone will be able to understand it, and it will be easier to type and read. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just playin' around.

Aces McGee

cold_cash
10-17-2003, 06:16 PM
I tried to use the little suit icons in my post, but I see they didn't show up when I got all done. Thats why the K:hearts things are there I think. Sorry about that.

cold_cash
10-17-2003, 06:18 PM
This was kind of what I thought about it also, and I didn't look at it this way before, but you're right -- he did save me a few bets by being so passive. Thanks.

Yeknom58
10-17-2003, 06:47 PM
I was trying to help the man.

I AM NOW OUT FOR REVENGE. ACES I WILL FLAME YOU ONE DAY, YOU WON'T KNOW WHEN BUT BE PREPARED TO BE CUT WITH MY KIND OF-SOMETIMES-SHARP WIT.

Joshua
10-17-2003, 07:05 PM

Aces McGee
10-17-2003, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to help the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you did. Hopefully, you realize I was kidding.

Aces McGee

betelgeese
10-18-2003, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You played fine, with time this weak-tight "I had a feeling I was in trouble at the turn for some reason" will go away.

The more I play, the more it seems like limit hold'em is a case of waiting for a big stick (good hand) and then beating my opponents over the head with it (betting and raising) while hoping the stick doesn't break (fearing the turn and river cards). I have found that the stick doesn't break as often I as first feared it would.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree but would add that there are instances that it is proper to check the river without being aweaktight dork. this isnt one of them

Yeknom58
10-18-2003, 04:40 AM
Yek also kidding. FLAME ON