PDA

View Full Version : I'm Weak Post Flop, Help!

charlie_t_jr
10-17-2003, 04:46 PM
I feel pretty good about my pre flop hand selection and most of the time, I play strongly pre flop. But I suck post flop when it misses me, and I have big pair or over cards. Example:

Party Poker 50/1, I'm on the Button, dealt Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif. 1 MP call, CO calls, I raise, blinds fold, MP & CO call. Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP checks, CO bets...I put him on 2 pair, maybe 10,8...maybe nut flush draw. I just call...should have re-raised? MP calls. Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP checks, CO bets, I call, MP folds. River: (8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif) J /images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO bets, I call. He shows 3 6's.

Should have re-raised the flop. If he had raised me back should I then fold? Or see the Turn and fold when he bets the Turn?

It seems I miss play over pairs, need help!:)

Aces McGee
10-17-2003, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MP checks, CO bets...I put him on 2 pair, maybe 10,8...maybe nut flush draw

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Because he bet? You need to raise this flop. If 3-bet, you can at least THINK about slowing down, but, at Party 50c/1.00, not until then.

Aces McGee

Bob T.
10-17-2003, 04:53 PM
He wouldn't play this way with AT, KT, QT, JT, or T9? Raise the flop. You can clear out a lot of overcards to your hand, and make it much more likely that you will win. When he three bets, you can now consider slowing down, and just make sure that one bet goes in on every street.

felson
10-17-2003, 06:07 PM
Definitely raise the flop. Many players will bet here with top pair, hoping you have AK/AQ.

GuyOnTilt
10-17-2003, 06:12 PM
Whoa! Sounds like you need some serious AGGRESSION added to your game. Fold if he 3-bets you on the flop??!! I don't think I'd fold that if you had a gun to my head. And I'm seriously not even overexaggerating.

On the flop, you say you put him on two pair. Okay, good, great, wonderful. But the question is WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU PUT HIM ON THAT??!! A bet on the flop means "I have a pair" or "I have a draw" usually. Your overpair is good until your opponent tells you it's not! So when a player on your right bets into you, you raise. You do this to drive out gutshot draws, middle pairs, and other hands because you want to maximize your chance of taking down this pot. You also raise because you most likely have the best hand. If reraised, then you can consider slowing down. If it's 3-bet to your left, I'd just call and then bet out on the turn. If the original bettor reraises you, then I'd cap and call down from there. If he checks to you on the turn, I'd bet and fold to a check-raise. But folding on the flop to a reraise is ludicrous!

Diagnosis: You have a serious case of the weak-tighties. Work on being more aggressive.

ajizzle
10-17-2003, 09:00 PM
You need to be more aggresive, and re-raise on the flop. If it comes back capped, then I suggest calling down to the river unless you improve or an overcard comes.

Keep in mind that all the advice you will get here is going to end up losing you money in situations like the hand you described, because for some wierd/incredible reason, you read from your opponent that your OVERPAIR was beat on the flop when he put in one raise. The point behind all of our comments are that your overpair will be ahead on the flop about 85% of the time, and your aggresion on the flop will 1)Raise your chances of winning the hand, and 2) Put more money into the pot so you win more in the long run.

Good Luck, -Ajizzle.