PDA

View Full Version : Some hands for comment...

XPac
10-17-2003, 03:25 PM
I'm going over some hands sent to me from Party, and thought I'd post some of the more challenging ones (challenging to me anyway) for comment.

Party .5/1
Hand 1:
Dealt T /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB
UTG limps, LP limps, SB calls, I check (raise?)

FLOP:
2 /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I bet, UTG calls, LP raises, SB folds. I call, UTG calls.

TURN:
5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
I check, UTG checks, LP bets. I fold, UTG calls

RIVER:
T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Was I correct in folding?

Hand 2:
Dealt K /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif in SB.
UTG calls, I call, BB checks.

FLOP:
4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I check, BB bets, UTG calls, I fold.

I had two overcards (but no real draws), perhaps I could've called?

Hand 3:
Dealt 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif on the button.
UTG calls, MP calls, LP calls, I call, SB calls, BB raises. We all call for one more bet.

FLOP:
3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Checked to MP who bets, LP folds, I raise, SB calls, BB calls, MP RE-raises, I fold.

The purpose of my raise here was to see if MP really had the flush, he told me he did I folded. Correct play?

Homer
10-17-2003, 04:11 PM
Hand 1 - Why call the flop raise and then fold to a turn bet? The only time you'd want to play the hand this way is when the flop raiser is the type of player who will check behind on the turn if he doens't have trip Aces, and will bet if he does. Against all other players, your play makes no sense, since you don't have odds to try to spike a T on the turn.

Hand 2 - Small pot (5:1 pot odds), crappy overcards = Fold.

Hand 3 - I'd probably fold here, unless I was sure that by raising I could get it heads-up and would be checked to on the turn. Otherwise I would fold, even with top-pair and 13:1 pot odds. That being said, I don't think your play is terrible, and I'd probably do the same thing some of the time (and kick myself afterwards).

-- Homer

PokerNoob
10-17-2003, 04:22 PM
I'm strictly a newbie, so take my advice FWIW, which ain't much. I'm also getting really weak/tight after getting pounded lately.

Hand 1 - You've got a two outer and a lot of people who will play ace and anything. Between your two opponents, they could have 8 flush outs, 9 KQJ outs, wheel straight outs... I put on a skirt and fold to the flop raise.

Hand 2 - KTo is not my favorite. Fold preflop.

Hand 3 - I don't even know if this is worth the first bet. 5 opponents, flush on the board, any overcard and you're toast. You missed your straight and flush draw. Check/fold.

One good thing about .5/1 is that you will see showdowns, know what cards your opponents held and adjust accordingly, e.g. raises in hand 1 with nut flush draw.

Aces McGee
10-17-2003, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 - KTo is not my favorite. Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would throw my chips in here 100% of the time. In fact, I'd often raise to try and go heads up with UTG.

What do others think?

Aces McGee

Homer
10-17-2003, 04:39 PM
If UTG is loose and BB is tight, then yeah, go ahead and raise here. In general though, I'd just complete.

-- Homer

rkiray
10-17-2003, 04:42 PM
I come down in the middle. Unless UTG is a very bad player I definitely don't raise. I don't like KTo either, it's a trap hand. But for 1/2 a bet, I'd call.

XPac
10-17-2003, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 - Why call the flop raise and then fold to a turn bet? The only time you'd want to play the hand this way is when the flop raiser is the type of player who will check behind on the turn if he doens't have trip Aces, and will bet if he does. Against all other players, your play makes no sense, since you don't have odds to try to spike a T on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you're right, I should've mucked it when he raised the flop. Funny thing is when I read over my hand history it seemed obvious, but when I was actually playing the hand I guess the "gambling" instinct got the best of me. Oh well, I'm still learning and hopefully improving /images/graemlins/grin.gif