PDA

View Full Version : 3-6 Hand...when would you raise?

Aaron Lovi
10-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Hi guys, I never found a raise postflop in this hand...maybe I should have? I so, where do you figure?

*small plug:*
Feel free to use the transcript reader I have linked in my profile. It's totally free for this purpose.

***** Hand History for Game 207675449 *****
3/6 TexasHTGameTable (Limit) - Fri Oct 17 14:33:54 EDT 2003
Table Card Room Table 2684 (Real Money) -- Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: VeryWell ( $581)
Seat 2: rainone1 ( $126)
Seat 3: ddrushfanguy ( $149)
Seat 4: DBLDN1 ( $117)
Seat 5: howde ( $237)
Seat 6: yellows2000 ( $113)
Seat 7: djhjf21 ( $33)
Seat 8: Smlslikfish ( $69)
Seat 9: bat233 ( $97)
Seat 10: kobieking ( $98)
yellows2000 posts small blind (1)
djhjf21 posts big blind (3)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to VeryWell [ Ad, Ks ]
Smlslikfish calls (3)
bat233 folds.
kobieking folds.
VeryWell raises (6) to 6
rainone1 folds.
ddrushfanguy calls (6)
DBLDN1 folds.
yellows2000 folds.
djhjf21 calls (3)
Smlslikfish calls (3)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Jd, Ac, Js ]
djhjf21 checks.
Smlslikfish bets (3)
VeryWell calls (3)
ddrushfanguy folds.
djhjf21 calls (3)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 3h ]
djhjf21 checks.
Smlslikfish bets (6)
VeryWell calls (6)
djhjf21 calls (6)
** Dealing River ** : [ 5d ]
djhjf21 checks.
Smlslikfish bets (6)
VeryWell calls (6)
djhjf21 folds.
** Summary **
Main Pot: $61 | Rake: $3
Board: [ Jd Ac Js 3h 5d ]
VeryWell balance $621, bet $21, collected $61, net +$40 [ Ad Ks ] [ two pairs, aces and jacks with king kicker -- Ad,Ac,Ks,Jd,Js ]
rainone1 balance $126, didn't bet (folded)
ddrushfanguy balance $143, lost $6 (folded)
DBLDN1 balance $117, didn't bet (folded)
howde balance $237, sits out
yellows2000 balance $112, lost $1 (folded)
djhjf21 balance $18, lost $15 (folded)
Smlslikfish balance $48, lost $21 [ 2h As ] [ two pairs, aces and jacks -- As,Ac,Jd,Js,5d ]
bat233 balance $97, didn't bet (folded)
kobieking balance $98, didn't bet (folded)

Aaron Lovi
10-17-2003, 04:10 PM

ElSapo
10-17-2003, 04:15 PM
when would you raise?

On the flop.
If not the flop, raise the turn.
If not the turn, the river.

And please, please don't post hand histories. No one will read them. Just take the time to type it out.

Homer
10-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Aaron, in general I like just calling it down when you're heads-up with position (and betting if your opponent flinches and checks), as you're either way ahead or way behind. The exception to this would be if your opponent is a loose, straightforward player who will let you know if he has a Jack by reraising the flop, and will call the hand down if he doesn't. By playing this way against this type of opponent, you'll make .5 bets more if he has a weak Ace, and will lose 1.5 bets less if he has a Jack. Against most opponents, though, I'd just as soon call it down, as a flop three-bet doesn't always mean trip Jacks, nor does a turn checkraise (although it is more likely to mean it). The presence of two other players in the hand makes your decision more difficult as you don't want to give them proper odds to draw to a gutshot (they'll be getting 10:1 odds if you only call).

In summary, if the hand were heads-up calling it down is probably best, but with opponents to act behind you a flop raise is probably best.

-- Homer

Homer
10-17-2003, 04:23 PM
I forgot to note some reasons that waiting until the turn to raise is bad:

- You'd like to get the opponents behind you out on the flop

- You might get a hand that is drawing dead to fold (something like Axs might fold to a turn raise, whereas if you raise the flop and bet the turn/river they won't be able to get away from the hand as easily)

- You might get re-raised by a Jack and may have to call it down if your opponent is tricky (I'd rather raise the flop and take the option of checking behind on the turn and calling a river bet against this type of opponent)

-- Homer

Aaron Lovi
10-17-2003, 04:25 PM
Hi El Sapo,

*large plug:
Part of the reason I'm posting hands this way is so that people try out the transcript reader linked to on my profile. It's free for this purpose, and as easy as copy and paste.

ElSapo
10-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Really Homer? I have to raise this, knowing a worse ace will call me. If he's in there with his ace, he's going to call it down, he's not folding, in my experience. I think you make more - and if reraised on the flop, will lose less - by raising.

ElSapo
10-17-2003, 04:29 PM
No offense dude, and I understand your reasons, but if it's really advice you want then take the time to type it out. The people giving you advice are helping you - making them go an extra step isn't good. But like I said, I understand... If it's just a plug for the reader, try the internet forum.