PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a new forum..the Micro-limit forum

Mike Gallo
10-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I do not know if I placed this in the correct forum however here goes.

Frequently we have debates in the small stakes forums from players playing in .50-1.00 games and 1.00-2.00 games.

Mason did you ever consider starting a micro limits forum, or would that "cannabalize" the small stakes forum?

rkiray
10-17-2003, 01:33 PM
I agree. I've been thinking the same thing. The quality of the posts in SS have really been going down the last couple of months. The SS forum was much better last spring than it is now. Maybe I've just been reading it too long, but I find most of the posts over there uninteresting. In the spring, almost all the posts interested me. People are just posting hands now. Nothing wrong with that, but in the past at least some of the hands had theoretical questions (implied odds, pot odds, etc.) We don't seem to get much of that anymore.

Homer
10-17-2003, 01:57 PM
I think a lot of this is a function of the WPT/World Series/etc. There is a large influx of new players who don't know much about the game. It seems that many of them haven't read books, they just jumped right into online games, became interested, and now are looking to improve. Even though these posters are posting hands that seem quite straightforward, they are often misplaying the hands, so there is a lot of room for discussion (including discussion of things like pot odds, implied odds, slowplaying, check-raising, and other things that are not explicitly questioned). Personally, I enjoy watching as a poster comes to the forum with little to no knowledge, and six months later is tearing up low-limit online games. It's nice to feel like I might have had a little something to do with it. One other thought is that if the posts seem boring and easy to you, it might be because your game has improved and you are now one of the resident experts. Go back and read a few of your posts from 6-12 months ago, and I bet you'll find that a lot of the hands you posted now seem boring.

[/rambling]

-- Homer

rkiray
10-17-2003, 04:05 PM
Your probably right about the last part. I did mention that part of why I thought they were boring because I'd been reading the board for too long. But still when I started posting hands I'd been playing for 3 years and had read all of S&M's poker books, so I think I had at least a few interesting posts even then. I actually remember several early posts with long discussions where you helped me finally understand implied odds. Don't see many threads like that anymore. My game has improved alot, so I'm sure I could find some of my posts that I would consider very boring now.

Another reason for a new forum would be the large number of posts. Many posts are disappearing rapidly from the first page. Unless you go to the 2nd or 3rd pages you can miss some of the posts. So breaking things up would at least help that. Of course, we could always just rename SS the Beginners Forum /images/graemlins/cool.gif opps, there's already one of those.

MaxPower
10-17-2003, 05:25 PM
I agree with what you are saying Homer. However, I do find it discouraging that a lot of people who are posting on the SS board have not read any 2+2 books. I think these boards are meant to supplement the books rather than replace them.

I first posted here about 5 years ago when there was only 1 forum and very few posters. Looking back at my old posts, I was incredibly clueless, but the posters here were always helpful. However, I tried not to ask a question about something that could be found in a book unless I didn't understand the concept.

Perhaps rather than a micro-limit forum there should be a beginner holdem forum or the current begginers forum could be moved to a more prominent place.