PDA

View Full Version : AK hand - correct move?

John J
10-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Party 1/2

I'm dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif on the button. One player raises, another re-raises, I cap it (should I have called?), both players call.

Flop is 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. First player checks, second player bets.

What should you do here?

I don't think I am playing correctly with AK preflop. I will usually raise as much as possible but then get into trouble when the flop misses me and there is action. Thoughts?

crockpot
10-16-2003, 11:47 PM
depending on the players, it can even be correct to fold preflop, but i would usually flat call.

fold on the flop. the unlikelihood of you hitting a clean out combined with the chances you are against AA, KK or a flush dictate a fold.

Yeknom58
10-17-2003, 12:09 AM
Pumping it pre-flop with AKo isn't always a good idea but it definitely isn't a crime. Just remember you can fold them preflop.

Post flop: People always seem to forget if they have AKo they ONLY HAVE ACE HIGH when rags flop. Unless you have the proper odds and you're fairly sure you're drawing to a winner fold.

Mason Malmuth
10-17-2003, 12:13 AM
Hi John:

While I usually make it three bets with AKo, if someone else has already made it three bets I usually fold. You need good reason to believe the three bettor is raising loose to play.

Best wishes,
Mason

John J
10-17-2003, 12:14 AM
crocksucker, my idea with capping it preflop on the button was to take control of the hand on the flop, which didn't happen. Would you still rather flat call, regardless of position?

Aaron Lovi
10-17-2003, 12:28 AM
I guess I'm not Mason...I'd never consider folding the AK in a limit game /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'd have flat-called preflop and awaited developments on the flop.

Stu Pidasso
10-17-2003, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You need good reason to believe the three bettor is raising loose to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a Party 1/2 game. Thats just about as good a reason as they come.

Stu

ajizzle
10-17-2003, 12:50 AM
Agreed! But in all fairness, I don't think Mason venutres into the slums of a Party 1/2 game often. In fact, I was quite surprised to see one of his posts in the lowly small-stakes section. Maybe he feels sorry for us. HaHa.
-Ajizzle

Stu Pidasso
10-17-2003, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Mason venutres into the slums of a Party 1/2 game often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your probably right. Once I did see Dsklansky and MasonM playing at the same Party 2-4 table though. I asked them where Ray was and they told me he was looking for a 710 plug for his truck.

Stu

Mason Malmuth
10-17-2003, 01:27 AM
Hi John:

Because you capped it, there will now be over 13 bets in the pot. So how will you have any control here?

Once the pot gets this big, it will be difficult for your future bets to have the desired effect. So here's another reason not to play.

Best wishes,
Mason

Mason Malmuth
10-17-2003, 01:32 AM
Hi Stu:

I'm more familiar with loose low limit games than you give me credit for. While some of these players will play anything, they won't three bet as much as you might think on a whim. So my comments still stand. You either need to know the player or recognize a particular situation.

Best wishes,
mason

GuyOnTilt
10-17-2003, 01:44 AM
It's best to fold preflop with AKo or AKs facing 3 bets cold. On the flop, I think you have a clear fold.

chesspain
10-17-2003, 08:20 AM
This is an easy fold on the flop. Even if you are "only" up against, say, QQ, or JJ, if either has a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif than you've just lost 1/3 of your outs.