PDA

View Full Version : Online Table Selection

MAxx
10-16-2003, 05:19 PM
When reading poker literature and how to become a more successful player, authors often talk about table selection. The majority of my poker occurs online, and I think that table selection could be one area that I could improve. Assuming that you are a tight/aggressive player playing in low-limit Hold'em ring games, what are some things that you should focus on as far as table selection?

If you play at the same limits at the same sites, you usually become familiar with who some the better players are but you also have a lot of randoms. I have noticed that I can still do well with some other decent tight/aggresive players sitting at the table. I also love to see the loose/weak players. I have struggled some with multiple maniacs sitting at the same table.

With players coming and going so much, the makeup of the players at you table changes dramatically over the course of a session, how much time do spend scouting tables? What are the ideal situations or situations to avoid?

Is table selection for online games an area that should be focused on significantly?

I have not read much on internet poker specifically yet, but I plan to soon.

J.R.
10-16-2003, 05:36 PM
I table hop all the time. It is more a process of "this table sucks, I leave" than me trying to focus on the game whil scouting other possibilities. I think good game selection with litle downtime is one of the reasons online poker can be quite profitable.

crockpot
10-16-2003, 08:43 PM
i have an essay on this at my website if you want to read it.

at smaller sites, i believe table selection consists a lot of finding specific uber-donators and sitting with them. at sites like party you have to improvise a little more and leave if the sharks have moved in.

MAxx
10-17-2003, 08:38 AM
Thanks, man. The essay was very helpful. I also enjoyed reading your site reviews....I will definitely return to your site.

TheRake
10-17-2003, 09:27 AM
I play mostly .5/1 at party and generally I look for a table with 1BB/player average per pot. Example would be if there were 9 players at the table the average pot size would be $9, $8 for 8 players, etc. Unfortunately this is really all you have to go by at Party. Some of the other sites have % of people seeing the flop which would also be useful. But I find by looking for the tables with this ratio works pretty well. Seems to be good way to find a table with alot of calling stations. If the ratio is higher ($11 for 9 players) it indicates some maniacs and if lower ($7 for 9 players) It indiactes rocks. Also as mentioned in the other post if the table situation changes, and is no good, just get up and leave..there is always another good table to sit at. Good luck