PDA

View Full Version : AKs capped - how many bets do you cold call ? looooose game

Bubu
10-16-2003, 03:27 PM
This post might be more appropriate for the small stakes forum because of the looseness of the game. This was my first day at the famous loose 15-30 tables of Party Poker ... My question is how to adjust to these games.
Usually I just play loose(r) pre-flop and dump it if don't
hit a draw. The problem I have is getting trapped with premium hands.

Anyway I posted behind the button in the loosest game I've played in my life (at this limit). I get AKs. Good. Comes back to me capped - with 7 players ?! Or something like that - it was all a blur. People throwing in chips like there's no tomorrow. How does one avoid getting trapped if you hit ? In this case I hit an ace on ragged flopped. Played it hard, wanting to limit the field - I don't want any redraws on the turns. But of course, given the number of players someone (the guy I thought was a maniac) made a set of sixes.

Three hands later the same action repeated itself. AK. Top
pair top kicker on a ragged flop. Same maniac, different set (7's ?). Ouch. I guess I should have know how he plays set by then. (The same way he plays runner-runner two underpairs as I would discover three hands later)

Generally, if I have a maniac on my right - great. Raise and isolate. Problem is that I sandwiched between two of these guys (for I moment I thought it was collusion - but then all the table was doing it !). But where do you draw the line ? Maybe I should have dropped the hand. I can see that if I put one of the raisers on AA or KK's (say the cap happens in EP by tight players...) But here ? What is there to read ?

So, I'd appreciate any comments on how to play on these loose games (Party, Northern California maybe?). I guess big cards are overvalued. But you can't simply fold them (hell I'll play AA in this crowd anyday !)

cheers,

Bubu

Paluka
10-16-2003, 03:39 PM
It sounds like you played the hands fine. Just because you lost doesn't mean you made a mistake.

Bubu
10-16-2003, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the encouraging reply. It was a bad day - actually a bad half hour (that's how quickly my spirit crumbled enough for me to leave). Literally the same beat twice 3 hands apart. (plus a whole bunch of nasty beats).
Don't know if I'm ready for online grinding...

Bubu

SoBeDude
10-17-2003, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the encouraging reply. It was a bad day - actually a bad half hour (that's how quickly my spirit crumbled enough for me to leave). Literally the same beat twice 3 hands apart. (plus a whole bunch of nasty beats).
Don't know if I'm ready for online grinding...

Bubu

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Bubu,

well you picked a wild one for your first 15-30 online game, didn't you? but you found a rare game. I play on party all the time and only rarely see a table that nuts (usually trying deperately to get on it!).

Also remember that with that level of aggression and action will come a much greater varience too.

Oh one thing, in a game like that you need to play tighter, not looser.

-Scott