PDA

View Full Version : PokerPages/Cardplayer: Who to read, who to avoid?

Bokonon
10-16-2003, 02:09 PM
*crossposted in Books & Software*

My poker library is slowly growing (10+ books at the moment -- yes, I know that a bunch of you have at least twice the amount!) but now I realize that there's a ton of resources available online as well. Specifically, columns at pokerpages/cardplayer, and probably other places.

Can anyone suggest what authors are must-reads, and what authors should probably be avoided at all costs? Also, are there any other sites out there (besides Pokerpages and Cardplayer) that I should take a look at?

Thanks much! I've just come off of a nasty set of beats . . . or bad play . . . and I think it's time I hit the books again before I go back in any serious way.

Bozeman
10-19-2003, 02:26 AM
I don't know of any authors that should be avoided at all costs, because bad advice read critically is at least food for thought, and often provides insight into your opponents' psyches.

However, I always read (CP):
Sklansky
Malmuth
Ciaffone
Cappelletti (maybe I'm a bridge sucker)
West
Cooke
Negreanu

next tier (roughly):
Slotboom
Glazer
Lessinger
Kreiger

past (and future?) ones I miss:
Brier
Schoenfeld?
PokerDigest ...

Imbibe with NaCl,
Craig

Roy Munson
10-19-2003, 08:09 AM
When reading Slotbooms columns, count how many times he refers to himself.

Bozeman
10-19-2003, 05:20 PM
Like the Star Trek drinking game, huh? (Rolling on laughing floor)

ChipWrecked
10-20-2003, 12:46 PM
We always played the Bob Newhart drinking game.

"Bob" = drink
"Hi Bob" = chug

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-20-2003, 12:55 PM
the Star Trek drinking game

How is it played? Which series?

As if I need an excuse to a) watch Star Trek, or b) drink /images/graemlins/wink.gif

squiffy
10-20-2003, 01:01 PM
I thought the Star Trek drinking game was to down a shot whenever Captain Kirk either appears with his shirt off or kisses an alien woman. Two shots if he kisses an alien woman wearing green body paint. Three shots if he kisses Lee Meredith, the secretary in Barnaby Jones and I believe former Miss America, or something like that.

ChipWrecked
10-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Oh, OK. I was thinking it was down a shot every time McCoy says, "Dammit Jim!"