PDA

View Full Version : Poker game for your type...

07-20-2002, 12:19 AM
Alright, here's a little poker book trivia. I know in one of the S&M books it talks about which form of poker best suits your playing style. There was something like, "Passive players that rely more on starting hands should try Omaha 8", or something to that effect.

I've been through every S&M book I have and can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know what book (and where in it) this topic came from?

Thanks,

Mike_L.

07-21-2002, 04:17 PM
Maybe the "Suiting your style" essay by Zee on the "Essays" page of this forum?

-Paul

07-21-2002, 05:29 PM
Paul,

Thanks for your help, but this was definitely in a book I read. It was an S&M book, but I didn't think it was on a specific subject (like HPFAP) but was one like Gambling Theory and Other Topics, or one of the others like it.

Thanks for your help though!

Mike L.

07-22-2002, 02:25 PM
This may not be what you were talking about, but there is a very brief section called "Your Playing Style" on pp. 253-54 of Ray Zee's High-Low Split book.

BTW, there is a guy who posts here as mike l. who got very upset a while back when someone else started posting with a similar handle. Be careful. /images/smile.gif

07-22-2002, 10:46 PM
Andy,

You know, I think that might be it. I couldn't find it in any of the "General" books, but it did sound like something Ray Zee would say!

Thanks for all your help!

Sorry about the duplicate name thing, too. I still think mine's a little different!

Mike_L.

07-23-2002, 11:03 PM
Are you talking about the "For the Studious Player" essay in Poker, Gaming, and Life??? Page 25.

07-24-2002, 06:56 PM
wpod,

Nope, that wasn't it, either. I thought it might be in a book like that though, but I didn't find it in any of them I had. The closest is that part in Zee's split poker book, but I could have sworn it was something about different games (hold'em, 7-stud, omaha), not different TYPES of games (loose passive, tight, etc...)

Thanks for your help though!

Mike_L.

07-25-2002, 12:54 PM
Roy Cooke has a column on this topic, reprinted in his first collection.

07-25-2002, 10:38 PM
MRB,

If you mean the column called "What are your strengths" on page 183 of Real Poker, that's not the one I'm looking for either.

Thanks,

Mike_L.

P.S. Again, the only hints I can give you guys is that I thought it was a 2+2 book (since I have almost all of them) and it talked about the skills to consider for each game (hold'em, 7-stud, etc...) as opposed to the type of game, ie: loose, tight, shorthanded, etc...

Thanks again for all your help and guessed though!

07-26-2002, 06:05 PM
Wow... I can't believe this, but I missed it the first time. Probably because I was partially blind from going through EVERY book I have!

Andy B is the man!!! It IS the last paragraph (I only read the 2nd to the last one the first time!) on page 254 of Ray Zee's High-Low split poker.

Thanks again for all your help...

FINALLY I CAN SLEEP!!!!!!!!

Mike L.

07-27-2002, 02:44 AM
plese dont use the handle mike l.

that's my name on here. think up another one please.

thanks.