PDA

View Full Version : Laugh at the Calling Station : Party 3/6

GuyOnTilt
10-16-2003, 04:31 AM
This is my first hand at the table. I post in the CO and am dealt K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Needless to say, I have no reads on anybody at the table. UTG and UTG+1 limp, all fold to MP who raises. I call, all fold, limpers call. 4 to the flop for 9 SB's.

Flop comes: J /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, MP raises, I cold-call, UTG folds, EP calls. 3 to the turn for 7.5 BB's.

Turn comes: 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif[J /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]

EP checks, MP bets, I call, EP calls. 3 to the river for 10.5 BB's.

River comes: 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif[7 /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]

EP checks, MP bets, I call, EP calls.

So now everybody can laugh at my calling station ways and tell me where I screwed up.

Noodles
10-16-2003, 05:45 AM
Hmm i think i would have played it the same ,maybe you could have tried a turn raise.The MP could have been betting a flush draw but after seeing his river bet i doubt it,i cant see what else you could have done.

Guido
10-16-2003, 06:49 AM
Hi,

You have given me a lot of advice so I don't know whether my advice to you means that much.

Anyway, MP raises preflop and postflop. Seems to me he has TT, JJ, QQ, KK or AA. He doesn't seem to be scared of a J or T.

If he has TT or JJ you have almost no outs, fold.

If he has QQ or AA you have 5 outs and even then it's not a certainty that you win. You have to cold call two so with 5 outs, I don't think the odds justify a call.

If he has KK you have 2 outs, fold again.

You will probably also lose from AJs.

Don't you agree you should have folded the folp? (alltough I must admit it's hard)

Thanks,

Guido

Joe Tall
10-16-2003, 07:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 bets, MP raises, I cold-call,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to call preflop, hit your top pair w/good kicker, why aren't you raising the flop?!??

Peace,
JT

gonores
10-16-2003, 07:51 AM
I think you would find out much easier where you stood against both opponents if you 3-bet the flop. You can easily fold to any more aggression from either player, and if you start to get "that feeling" that MP thinks you have his overpair beat you can chicken out and check behind on the river.

Doug

lil'
10-16-2003, 08:59 AM
As the pot continues to grow, you need to so something to maximize your chances of winning. Just calling does not maximize your chances.

Your Mom
10-16-2003, 12:59 PM
I think it is raise or fold time on the flop. I'd probably fold the flop. Sure you may be ahead, but most times someone has a AJ or an overpair. If the flop raiser is aggressive and would raise a flush draw with players still to act or would raise AK, then obviously 3 betting the flop is the right play. With no read, I wait for a better situation and muck it.

slavic
10-16-2003, 01:16 PM
I'm not so sure about the preflop call, suited and with position for half price maybe. If the raiser is a thinking player he'll raise with quite a few hands jsut to get the dead money out.

I like the flop more than if I caught a king. When it's raised in front of me make it 3 and isolate. Depending on the players reaction I'd make the choice of calling it down or betting it forward.

GuyOnTilt
10-16-2003, 04:41 PM
Like everybody else said, the flop should've been raise or fold. I think my best action would've been folding since I didn't have a read on any of my opponents. Option number two should've been 3-betting and seeing what happened from there. My worst possible course of action, the one which I chose, was cold-calling.

MP showed QQ for the win. EP had AJ. I get the bronze medal for the hand with my top pair, lousy kicker. But hey, coming in 3rd after the hand started off with 10 people is a pretty good ending right? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

slavic
10-16-2003, 05:25 PM
But hey, coming in 3rd after the hand started off with 10 people is a pretty good ending right?

only if you have JTo

chesspain
10-16-2003, 06:52 PM
LOL /images/graemlins/grin.gif