PDA

View Full Version : Another AK situation...

richard
10-16-2003, 12:32 AM
PartyPoker, $25NL, 10-handed, I am in BB w AKo. Early player (EP), first in, goes all-in for $10, all fold to SB who calls. I'm fairly new to the table, but neither player has shown unusual looseness or aggression so far, although table is loose/aggressive. SB has me covered.
I know most players would call (which I would have done had not SB called), or, more likely, raise, but I folded. Here is my thinking...
Assuming EP would only play AA (3 possibilities), KK (3), QQ (6), JJ (6), AK (9), or AQ (12), then 1/13 of the time I am a huge dog (vs AA), 1/13 of the time I am a big dog (vs KK), 4/13 of the time I am a slight dog (vs QQ, JJ), 3/13 of the time I am close to even (vs AK - possibily suited), and 4/13 of the time I am dominating (vs AQ).
SB may well have any of those or more, since he chose not to reraise to isolate.
So for (EP) only, I'm roughly 6/13 behind, 3/13 about even, and 4/13 ahead.
Against 1 opponent, that sounds like a good time to play getting 2 to 1 for my money, but one of my problems is that I have 2 opponents, at least one, if not both, of which are telling me they have big mits. The other problem arises if (when) I miss the flop (which I mostly do with AK, especially considering that some of my outs are almost certainly used up), I am going to have to pay big to try to draw out.
And if I'm not willing to do that then I'm only going to see 3 cards for my money.
This seems like a situation that would be fine for many gamblers, but for those of us who at least "try" to minimize gambling and variance, this does not feel like as desirable a situation as many that I will find if I just pass and remain patient.
However, I'm open to persuasive arguments otherwise.... Thanks!
PS...Both players had QQ and a K flopped.

crockpot
10-16-2003, 04:35 AM
i would rather play the hand against both players than just EP. unless EP is very aggressive he will either be ahead of you or tied here.

i know many players that will push in with a hand like AJs if it has been raised already, but they rarely do it when there has been no prior action. for some reason they do not understand that you need a better hand to call this type of bet than make it themselves.

many players in SB, however, will make this type of call with hands like AQ, AJ, or TT, which makes the sidepot a somewhat attractive proposition. i would probably still fold, but i would rather face both of them than just EP.