PDA

View Full Version : Cubs implosion Part II well underway

Clarkmeister
10-15-2003, 08:46 PM
I can taste their sweet sweet tears.

Joe Tall
10-15-2003, 09:03 PM
Relax Clark,

Wood is a notorious slow starter (not as of the playoffs but regular season), and they've got one back.

Peace,
JT

Joe Tall
10-15-2003, 09:05 PM
Oh, and he can hit too! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Clarkmeister
10-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Never forget that they are the Cubs. They just can't escape their Cubness.

Clarkmeister
10-15-2003, 11:50 PM
See?

Never forget that above all else....they are the Cubs.

HDPM
10-16-2003, 12:31 AM
Yeah, the fact they are the cubs and have the whole losing mystique ingrained is the problem. It seemed like last night they were looking for an excuse to lose, which all losers do, and they found it, which all losers do. So now they are losers, as they have been the last 95 years.

I think that for the cubs to win the cub culture must change. Perhaps it has nothing to do with the results, but if the attitude of the fans and organization has any bearing on how the hired gun players perform, I think a wholesale change is in order. Did you see how the Cubs fans sat and cried in the stands after the game or held up signs saying crap like "Thanks For the Great Year?" What? it was a disaster of a year. I guess I understand quiet disappointment, which is mostly how I reacted, but some good consistent rotten venom a la Philadelphia fan might be nice. Maybe that would help the cubs. Violently boo every little mistake for years and years. Throw some garbage at players after events like the last 2 nights. Stop coming to the games when they lose to give management some incentive. Ride the players mercilessly. Like when Philly fans booed Mike Schmidt in his prime. Made him a better player. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I guess that would change the whole experience of being a Cubs fan. Hopeless optimism replaced with nasty hatred. But Cubs fans can't do that because then they would change the whole idea of being a Cubs fan. And they don't want that. they don't want to be fair weather fans or people who boo their best players the most. So they stick with it.

As I posted a few days ago, I was raised to be a Cubs fan. I don't consider myself a hardcore fan for a couple of reasons. First is because I don't get to follow the Cubs closely and I don't live and die with the results. I am not a hardcore baseball junkie. We moved away from Chicago when I was very young, so I only got to see them in occasional trips back to Chicago or on nationally televised games. Ah back in the day before cable. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif But to the extent I followed the game and rooted for a team it ws the Cubs. And by the time the 84 and 89 teams rolled around there was better coverage and you could better follow the team. But now I don't get to follow them much again. The second reason is that I have not been able to fully throw myself into rooting for incompetence. By that I mean Cubs fans are expected to think the Cubs have a chance next year. For the most part they don't have a chance next year because they suck. they have had an incompetent organization that produced loser after loser after loser when they had a great fan base and money. How can you approve of that? The Marlins and Diamondbacks can win after a few years in the majors, so why can't the Cubs win? Well, it's because they're crap. And I compared it to a religion the other day, because to some extent I feel like I am rebelling against faith based values I was taught to have. And how can you have blind faith in something that is obviously garbage? So there are my mixed feelings about the whole deal. But this year was about as big a disappointment as I could have from a spectator sport. Which is probably not much in the scheme of things, as I know my life will really be no different in any substantive way if the Cubs win a World Series or lose in a disaster like they did this year. But it is a disappointment. Notwithstanding the fact that I don't see a point in celebrating the incompetent, which is required of a Cubs fan.

So I will keep rooting for the Cubs even if I am not able to be an observant Cubs Fan who can qualify as a witness at Cubs fan weddings or whatever. And there are some signs of life in the organization and the pitching staff that provide a basis for some real hope. But nobody can expect them to win any championships in their lifetime.

Bill Murphy
10-16-2003, 12:36 AM
"Did you see how the Cubs fans sat and cried in the stands after the game or held up signs saying crap like "Thanks For the Great Year?" "

Exactly what Utah Jazz fans do. /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Mark Heide
10-16-2003, 02:49 AM
Clarkmeister,

After hearing the results of game 6. I made a bet at work on game 7 that the Cubs would lose. I won!

Good Luck

Mark

John Cole
10-16-2003, 10:33 AM
Great line, Clarkmeister.

andyfox
10-16-2003, 03:22 PM
They got 5 back, but they weren't enough.

Eerie how similar the two games yesterday were.

ChipWrecked
10-16-2003, 05:08 PM
http://www.hometown.aol.com/parlaycard/myhomepage/