PDA

View Full Version : People disgust me

Homer
10-15-2003, 04:11 PM
Morons (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2003/news/story?id=1638663)

Does anybody else think everyone's reaction to the fan touching the foul ball is absurd? I used to think Chicago had great fans, now I think they are morons just like the fans in every other city. Making this kid into a scapegoat, blaming him for the team's loss is a [censored] joke. Here are some random thoughts:

- Anyone sitting in that seat would have gone for the ball.

- The ball was over the stands, not the field, hence it was not fan interence.

- Alou way overreacted, as it was still a 3-0 game at the time.

- Why is no one talking about Gonzalez's error?

- Why is no one talking about the x consecutive hits allowed later in the inning?

- It's just a [censored] baseball game.

Comments appreciated.

-- Homer

Prickly Pete
10-15-2003, 04:17 PM
Agreed, nevermind the error and atrocious pitching that yielded 8 runs.

As for the much-debated play, it would have been a wonderful "play" for the fans to lean back and give Alou a chance to catch it. And I've seen this done before. However, if it's in the stands, you can't expect the fans to do this. And yes it was fans (plural) not fan, who went for it.

Gamblor
10-15-2003, 04:25 PM
Never mind the guy who he went to the game with.

He's a firefighter working for the Chicago Fire Department.

50 death threats phoned in this morning.

HDPM
10-15-2003, 04:50 PM
What is surprising? I mean it is all this guy's fault. He blew the biggest game in the last 50 years. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually I think it is somewhat ironic. Cubs fans are known for their loyalty to the team and supporting them through thick and thin. Mostly thin as the cubs tend toward incompetence. To have victory snatched from a player's hands by a diehard fan is such a compelling story. It really is perfect. It has all the elements of a classic tragedy. More is demanded of a cubs fan, so given the fact he is a diehard and presumably knowledgeable fan, he had a duty to avoid the ball. He he he. See, it really is all his fault.

Of course the reaction is ridiculous. But it ties in to the whole curse thing. Death threats are obviously too much and I feel bad for the guy since he really might not be able to live safely in Chicago anymore. It would be ridiculous to attack the guy, but it only takes one lunatic who believes the guy cost the Cubs the game. Maybe I'm overestimating the lasting outrage over his blunder. After all the guy who put the curse on the Cubs lived there and was OK. But I'd hate to be that guy because odds are the Cubs lose tonight and his name will be linked to the debacle until the Cubs win a world series, which may not be for 500-700 years depending. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

J.R.
10-15-2003, 07:19 PM
Its easier to blame the kid than the team you unconditionally support. However, its pretty clear that things happen much differently if the kid doesn't touch the ball. But that's part of baseball, and most would do the same thing the kid (he's older than me) did.

But what is really interesting and frightening is how this fits in with the numerous studies that document the increased spousal abuse on sundays during football season and all those loud mouth parents at their 10 year old kid's soccer games and so on and so on. Baseball is a sport, a form of entertainment. Its not life or death.

But unfortunately for many (and this is comming from a huge sports fan) it becomes their life. What a shame. Violence as a result sports is stupid. I live in Boulder, Colorado and almost got killed at a huge party turned riot after a big win against Nebraska 2 years ago. Regardless of who you root for, violence should never be the outcome of a GAME.

Go cubs, Go sox.

Oski
10-16-2003, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for the much-debated play, it would have been a wonderful "play" for the fans to lean back and give Alou a chance to catch it. And I've seen this done before. However, if it's in the stands, you can't expect the fans to do this. And yes it was fans (plural) not fan, who went for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this same situation where the fans in the front row actually cordoned off the area and allowed the home player to make the catch unmolested. I can't remember when it happened or where, I am sure it wasn't the Dodgers (our fans would have been hanging their fishing nets out to get the ball 10 feet onto the field). Anyway, it was a number of years back and it was the playoffs. Tim McCarver made some comment about how smart the fans were, etc.

Anyway, it seems some fans understand their duties as "the 12th man"; and some don't.

andyfox
10-16-2003, 03:08 PM
If there's any blame to be assessed, and I don't think there is, I would blame the other fans around him. You're going for a ball, it's one of the pleasures of going to a baseball game. You have no perspective of where the fielder is. The other fans could see Alou coming over, they could have prevented the fan from going for the ball.

But you're right. The Cubs lost because they played badly after that incident. Winners shrug it off and concentrate on the next pitch. It's like poker. Bad beat, shmad beat. It's over. Next hand.

ChipWrecked
10-16-2003, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it seems some fans understand their duties as "the 12th man"; and some don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. In the photo, the guy sitting next to Bartman is leaning back out of the way.

Homer
10-16-2003, 05:19 PM
Yup. In the photo, the guy sitting next to Bartman is leaning back out of the way.

Yeah, probably because he's afraid of the ball -- seriously.

If you watch the replay there are at least 3-4 other people reaching out for the ball.

I feel really bad for this guy. He is going to have to move out of town to avoid being killed. Our society is [censored] up.

-- Homer