PDA

View Full Version : From my last 100 hands I played and perhaps should have played

Guido
10-15-2003, 01:44 PM
A few weeks ago I asked you guys whether I was ready to move up from 0.25/0.50. Most of you agreed that I could at least go to 0.50/1. Since then I played about 20 hours at 0.50/1 and about 15 hours at 1/2. At first I played even at 0.50/1 (now I win a little) and I have lost some at 1/2 (about 30BB). I didn't really understood why because I didn't think I played any different. Yesterday I bought Pokertracker and it seems that I play a lot more hands in the SB at 0.50/1 and 1/2 then at 0.25/0.50. Part of this, I think, is because I followed the advice from you guys to call some hands in this position that I would fold before. I think I went a little to far.

I would like to know what you think about the following hands. Especially the blinds.

I'm the button with Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif at 0.50/1. UTG + 1 calls, UTG + 2 raises, MP poster calls. The raiser raises strange hands like 66 in any position, so I decide to reraise. UTG + 1 calls, UTG + 2 caps (I have seen him cap before with low PP), MP folds, I and UTG + 1 call. Three to the flop for 14.5SB

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Perfect I think, PF raiser bets out, I raise, UTG + 1 folds and UTG + 2 reraises. Now I start to believe he has AA or KK and possibly QQ or JJ. I call. Two to the turn for 20.5SB

Turn: A /images/graemlins/club.gif

He bets, I raise (what is the best thing to do? Call or raise?), he calls. Two to the river for 14.25BB.

River: T /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

He bets, I call. Any mistakes?

UTG with A /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif, I raise, UTG + 2 and MP1 cold call rest folds.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Perfect, I bet, both call.

Turn: 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, only MP1 calls.

River: T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, he calls.

I think I played this one correct but I just post all hands I played or perhaps should have played for the last 100 hands.

I'm in SB with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG + 1 and UTG + 2 limp, MP1 raises, button cold calls, I called. Is it a mistake to call?

I'm in CO with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG limps, MP poster checks, LP calls, I call, button raises, blinds fold, except for the MP poster we all call. Four to the flop for 10.5SB.

Flop: T /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Button bets out, UTG calls, LP folds, I call. (Big mistake?)

Turn: T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Button bets out again, UTG folds, I call. (Small mistake?)

River: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Check-call (Mistake again?)

As you can see, I sometimes still have some diffeculty to fold top pair /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm in UTG + 2 with 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG calls, I limp. Is this a mistake even when there aren't that many preflop raises?

I'm in UTG + 2 with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG raises, UTG + 1 cold calls. Should I 3 bet, call or fold? I called as did everybody behind me except for the blinds. I folded the flop when I didn't hit an A or Q or better.

CO with J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG, UTG + 1 and UTG + 2 limp, I limp, button limps, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Perfect, checked to me and I bet out, BB, UTG and UTG + 1 call.

Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet out, all call.

River: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to me, I bet, should I?

I'm the button with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG and UTG + 2 limp, I raise, blinds and the other two call.

Flop: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to me and I bet out (small mistake?), all call.

Turn: T /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG + 2 bets out and I fold

I'm the SB with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif. LP limps, CO poster checks, button limps, I raise, BB folds, rest calls.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet out, LP and button call.

Turn: A /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet out, LP calls, button folds. Who would do something fancy like a check-raise here?

River: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet out again, LP calls (I love the nuts /images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Would anyone have played this hand any different?

I'm CO with J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG and UTG + 2 limp, I call (I only do this sometimes in LP, mistake?), SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to me and I bet out, mistake? I think so /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Blinds fold and UTG and UTG + 2 call

Turn: 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked aroud

River: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I fold to a bet

I'm CO - 1 with A /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif. Folded to me and I raise, CO cold calls, blinds fold.

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, he calls.

Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, he calls.

River: 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, he calls.

Any mistakes here?

I'm in button with 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG and CO limp, I call. Mistake? SB calls, BB checks.

I'm in UTG + 1 with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I call, UTG + 2 raises, MP cold calls, CO poster calls, BB and I call.

Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I decide to bet out and fold when the preflop raiser raises. Preflop raiser folds /images/graemlins/confused.gif, only CO and BB call.

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet out, both call (BB is all-in).

River: 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check and CO checks also. Should I have bet here? I guess all you guys say, YES!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm UTG + 2 with K /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG, UTG + 1 poster checks, I limp, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: T /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG bets out, UTG + 1 calls. There are 7SB in the pot when it's my turn and I decide to call (6 outs I think), blinds call.

Turn: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I fold to raise from UTG + 1

Any mistakes?

I'm in CO with K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP calls, I limp, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I fold to a bet.

I'm in UTG + 1 with 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG, I and button limp, BB checks.

Flop: 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet out, only the button calls.

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet he calls

River: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet, he folds.

I'm in CO-1 with 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG and two MP's limp, I limp, button limps, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to me, I bet out. Mistake?

Button, SB, UTG and one MP call.

Turn: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to me and I check also, button bets, UTG and MP calls, I call also. Mistake?

River: 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked around.

I'm BB with 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG, UTG + 1, UTG + 2 and MP limp, button raises, SB calls, I call. Mistake?

Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB bets out, I call. Mistake again? Should I fold, call or raise? UTG and button call.

Turn: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB bets out again, we all call.

River: 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked around

I'm the button with K /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif. CO calls, I call (mistake?), SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I fold to a bet.

I'm the BB with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG + 2 calls, MP poster checks, SB calls, I check.

Flop: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet out, UTG + 2 and SB call.

Turn: T /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet out, both call.

River: T /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet out, SB calls.

I'm the BB with 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG and UTG + 2 limp, SB calls, I check.

Flop: 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet out (mistake?), UTG + 2 and SB call.

Turn: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked around.

River: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Fold to a bet.

I'm BB with J /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG raises, all fold, I fold also.

I would like to know what you guys think about all these hands, what are the mistakes or where would play different. I discribed all hands I played or which I perhaps should have played.

Thanks,

Guido

NoChance
10-15-2003, 02:20 PM
I like the way you played most of these hands. I play much the same way but i fear many others will say you (and I) cold call too much. I'll just comment on a few hands I play different.

Hand 1. I would have capped the flop. Tons of outs here.

Hand 3. I fold these unless I am in BB.

Hand 5. I fold.

Hand 7. I bet.

Hand 10. I check-fold the flop.

Hand 14. Been folding these in that position.

Hand 18. I fold

Guido
10-15-2003, 03:08 PM
Thanks NoChance,

Hand 1
I understand why you would cap the flop, but I don't think it's a big mistake to just call a re-raise. I will cap it next time and see what happens.

Hand 3
I agree. As I noticed meself, I call a little to much in the blinds and I should become as tight as I was before I think.

Hand 5
I can see why, but it depends on the table structure. There weren't many raises preflop. But even then, I must agree, there were too few players in to justify a call. So I agree folding was the best option.

Hand 7
Did the same.

Hand 10
Thought the same, did something else /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hand 14
Again, there weren't that many raises preflop. If there were I would only call in LP.

Hand 18
The only hand I disagree on. There are already 9SB in the pot when it's my turn and probably all the limpers will call. That would make it 13SB for 1SB to see the flop. I'm not so sure whether I made a mistake here.

Thanks,

Guido

NoChance
10-15-2003, 03:15 PM
Regarding hand 18:

This may be just me but I don't like putting that much money in the pot if it's not connected. The only real chance you have to win the pot is if the flop hits you perfect. Even then, you don't have the nuts. Someone could get a higher flush or higher straight. Also, what if the people still to call end up raising one more time? Others may think differently on this one. It may just be me. It just seems like you are chasing before the hand even gets going. Too hard for the flop to hit you perfectly and as I said before, even then it's not the nuts.

Guido
10-15-2003, 03:28 PM
Hand 18 again

You say that much money /images/graemlins/grin.gif. It's only one SB and your implied odds are huge with this many people in the pot. I have almost never seen a limp-raise so I'm not so scared about that. If the flop is bad, fold. It just costs you 1 SB with a small chance to win a big pot. 68s isn't that bad and it's an easy hand to fold if you don't hit a flush or straight draw.

Thanks,

Guido

Guido
10-15-2003, 04:43 PM
What do all you guys think about these hands? I would like to know what I did wrong or what was good.

Thanks,

Guido

Peter
10-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Hand 3 I would have folded A8 suited in SB against a raise.

Hand 4 I might have folded the flop. On the other hand, you have a backdoor flush which might be enouh to take one of. Once the turn pairs the board, I think I would call him down.

I would have folded hand 5 (9T suited in UTG +2)

Hand 6 most of the time I would have folded AQ off after a raise and a coldcall.

Hand 7 I would bet the river.

In hand 10 I think I will bet the turn as well if I have bet the flop. I won't bet the flop every time.

In hand 11 I would have checked the river. Where I play the buttons play indicates a pocket pair or AQ or AK.

Hand 12 I would fold 56 suited after 2 limpers.

In hand 17 I would bet the turn as well, you don't want to give a free card here while your hand has a good chance to still be best.

All the other hands I would have played the same.

Peter

Guido
10-16-2003, 09:24 AM
Thanks Peter,

Hand 3: I agree, I should become as tight as I was before when I'm in the blinds.

Hand 4: Sounds like you would have played it the same way. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hand 5: I should do that also /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hand 6: Didn't know what to do, will fold it next time. Do you call AQs?

Hand 7: /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hand 10: I did bet out on the flop to win the pot right there. Because UTG and UTG + 2 called, I thought one of them had an ace and perhaps a 9. I didn't want to get raised one the turn that's why I checked and folded on the river. One of them had A4o.

Hand 11: If you check the river, do you call a bet?

Hand 12: I agree.

Hand 17: I agree.

Thanks,

Guido

Moonsugar
10-16-2003, 09:56 AM
Not an expert. This is my first reply to a post like this, so take any advice with a grain of salt:

3) 4 people in ahead I think this is a call.

4) Some problems. You have to try and find out about your Ace and/or get people out on the flop when bets are cheap. You are too weak to call all the way here.

5) If you expect to get some more callers behind I like this play.

6) Fold.

9) CR the turn

10) I would fold this preflop.

12) Not enough action, fold preflop.

15) Raise preflop. Raise/bet on the flop.

17) Bet or checkraise the turn. You are looking good, just cause an overcard comes doesnt mean you are beat. You have to make anyone holding a smaller pair or on a str8 draw or Ace (etc.) pay you to stay.

19) Similar to 15. Raise preflop. Raise the flop. I know you don't have the greatest hand, but neither does the limper and the BB probably doesn't either. You have to give these guys a chance to fold. And you aren't going to do that by calling and folding!

20) You lost to a better ace I bet.

On the whole I think you played well. Just show more aggression when you have position and outs. I am a new player but I like to try to control the action and on hands like 15 and 19, limit the field and I think I could get these people to fold most of the time they don't hit the flop whether or not I hit.

Hope all that helps /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Moonsugar
10-16-2003, 10:29 AM
On hand 20. Oops made a mistake. I mean you would have lost to a better ace if no T comes on the river.

Guido
10-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Thanks Moonsugar,

Hand 3: I don't like to call a raise preflop with this hand so why should I call in the SB. Personally I think I made a mistake by calling.

Hand 4: So you would bet out and fold to a raise? Or call a raise and check-fold the turn?

Hand 5: Yes, I did expect that, but I'm not so sure whether calling was the right thing to do.

Hand 6: Ok

Hand 9: Ok

Hand 10: Fold in any position? I sometimes call in LP with only a few callers.

Hand 12: You're right.

Hand 15: Sounds smart but not sure, what does the rest of you guys do?

Hand 17: Ok, even with 4 players still in? And if they call your bet, what do you do on the river?

Hand 19: Is a preflop raise the best way to play these hands?

Hand 20: I have AATTT so I didn't lose but won /images/graemlins/grin.gif Nobody had a T or A.

Thanks,

Guido

Moonsugar
10-16-2003, 11:38 AM
3) Anytime you have 4 people in the pot I think you should play Axs for 2 bets. Now you are in the SB and that hurts you, but I would still play it. You can win this hand many ways: flush, two pair, trips, maybe even top pair (although this is unlikely). If the board flops 2 of your suit I bet you get action from at least 2 players (raiser and cold caller). Your implied odds here are very good and I think you should take them. Make sense?

4) I would raise on the flop. If I get reraised maybe I fold depends on how the button plays. In the actual hand he could be on a flush draw; maybe he has KQ spades, who knows? Since he raised he flop I would want to raise into him and see how he reacted when I have top pair, weak kicker and a backdoor flush draw. I would want to see how many people call my raise. But I think this action is the best way to win the hand.

5) This hand is similar to the AXs. If you are going to have a multiway pot this is a nice hand to have. You have a lot of ways to win with this hand too. Again, you won't win the majority but when you win you will win alot. Implied odds.

10) Does the hand play well multiway? Not that well. Does it have power on its on. Not really. Would UTG and UTG+1 limp with hands weaker than this hand? This last question is the one that needs to be answered. I would say in most cases the answer is no, so I fold.

17) Yes, even with 4 players still in. Maybe I would be worried about someone having a higher pair. But wouldn't they have checkraised the flop? The leader in the hand should be making some bets, raising the action and I see noone doing that. Once you check after betting on the flop and then just calling shows weakness. You have a good hand and should press it, IMO. Use the Q to scare them! Make QJ fold! Make QT fold!

19) I think so. You may get it down to HU and then you try to take it down on the flop.

20) Yeah I saw my mistake. Suprising anyone stayed w/o a T or an Ace. NH.

Peter
10-16-2003, 11:49 AM
That I would fold AQ off doesn't necessarily mean you should too. Against the right opponents you might reraise. If it was suited I would still have folded. If there were a couple more coldcallers or limpers before the raise I might call it.

As for hand 10, I seem to run into more people lately who will call a flop bet just to see what the turn brings and then fold to a turn bet. If that's not the case in your game I can understand checking the turn.

In hand 11 most of the time I would check fold.

Peter

Guido
10-16-2003, 01:20 PM
Thanks Moonsugar,

Hand 3:
When I play Axs I play it to make a nuts flush. Two pair and trips you can make with every hand so that's not a good reason to call I think. When you hold J8s you don't say I call because I can make a two pair, trips, a possible straight or a flush. It's true that when you don't hit your four flush you have some extra outs.
Imagion the following situation: UTG raises, and two cold call, do you call when you're next? It sounds like you do, for me this is an auto-fold. I just don't want to pay 2SB's with a 5% a 6% change to hit my nut flush. What would the rest of you guys do?

Hand 4: It's possible but I don't like it.

Hand 5: I agree but I still think I should have folded this hand because it's not a certainty you get many callers.

Hand 10: I agree, but if there is one MP limper and you're in LP, would you fold/call/raise?

Hand 17: I don't think anybody with QT or QJ will fold but I agree I should have bet again.

Hand 19: What does the rest think?

Hand 20: /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,

Guido

Guido
10-16-2003, 01:26 PM
Thanks Peter,

Hand 6:
I know it doesn't mean that I should do the same but I didn't know what to do. For me it's a 33,33% fold, a 33,33% call and a 33,33% 3-bet. I realy have no idea what's the best thing to do.

Hand 10: Ok now you understand /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hand 11: WHY? /images/graemlins/confused.gif Then he knows you have nothing.

Thanks,

Guido

Moonsugar
10-16-2003, 01:56 PM
I will reply then stop cluttering up your thread /images/graemlins/grin.gif

3) The situation you describe is different as there are only 3 people in before me. I would fold unless I think more will come in after me. In the hand you posted there are 4, so I call. Don't want to go into a bunch of math here but you don't have to have the nut flush to win. If you will fold good flops for this hand that don't include the nut flush then you should not do as I suggest, and you should wait til you are on the button and play v. a lot of limpers.

4) Well try it out a few times and see what happens /images/graemlins/wink.gif I think my way you make more money if you have the best hand and you save money if you don't.

5) Maybe, it all depends on how many people you think will be in the pot. In a loose 3/6 Party game I will call this everytime.

10) With one MP limper I think it becomes like the KJ and KT hands. 15 and 19. I raise and try to get it HU. Remember an MP limper should be weaker than a limper UTG.

17) I was trying to inspire confidence and aggression.

Bottom line is this: You are not going to have to have the nuts everytime you win. Don't worry that your opponent is holding the nuts and laying in wait for you. If you raise and he does have you beat, well that's the breaks. And maybe next time he will call that raise when you have him beat.

Learned alot myself from this thread, thanks.

Good luck /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guido
10-16-2003, 02:29 PM
Thanks again Moonsugar,

You're not cluttering up my thread. I just want to learn and debate about some situations I'm not sure about.

About hand three I will just wait and see what the rest thinks.

Thanks for trying to inspire confidence and aggression but that's not necessary /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just want to find some small or big leaks.

Thanks,

Guido

Peter
10-16-2003, 02:30 PM
Hand 11 I will check fold the river most of the time because most opponents I play against will only bet the river if they have something. They don't seem to get I can bet the flop and turn with nothing so if they have nothing they figure I will call their bet and therefore they won't bet with anything worse than me. There are some opponents that bet, but like I said, sometimes I call, just happens to be the times I'm against those opponents /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Peter

Guido
10-16-2003, 02:45 PM
I thought you were talking about the flop. Now I understand what you're talking about /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I don't know what's the best thing to do. If you play as agressive as you can, raise, bet, bet, bet. Then perhaps he folds. If he has AA, KK, QQ or JJ he should have raised me somewhere. If he has, AK or AQ you have a chance he folds. If you check the river, you show weakness and then he should bet and you have the problem whether you should call or not. If you always call then that's perhaps the best thing to do.

In this case he called me on the river and I still won /images/graemlins/confused.gif. I guess this was a value bet /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks,

Guido

Peter
10-16-2003, 03:01 PM
Wow, would never have guessed that. What did he have?

Guido
10-16-2003, 03:17 PM
T /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Moonsugar
10-16-2003, 07:41 PM
I know I said I wouldn't post again, but I lied. Just did some research in HPFAP. The section on loose games deals specifically with a lot of issues I raised. Axs is talked about in the chapter starting on page 173. Of course the whole section should be memorized for low limit online poker games.