PDA

View Full Version : A few preflop questions

PokerNoob
10-15-2003, 12:08 PM
I'm at .5/1 party, an orbit has gone by and the table seems tighter/crazier than usual. Only 3 or 4 are seeing flops. Somebody open raised 32s, gets 4 callers and takes it down with a 3 2 2 A A board.

Hand 1: I'm UTG and am dealt 55. I fold. Two callers, an AKo raiser, BB and the callers call. Four to the flop of A 5 9 and my trips would have won the two pair aces showdown. I folded in early position because I didn't want to be raised with 55 and play very few opponents. I am leaning towards folding 77 and below in EP, no matter how passive the game. Thoughts on low pocket pairs in EP at this level?

Hand 2: I am in BB and am dealt the Jack and Ten of clubs. EP limps, all fold to the button who raises. I call, EP calls. Flop is Kc 9d 6s. Checked to Button who bets out. I figure I am 8:1 on this bet, so I put it in. Sure enough the other player calls. Turn is As. Checked around to Button who bets. I fold, as does EP. Do I have any justification for my preflop call? Would it be different without the EP limper, if I were just open raised by the button? Did I have proper odds for my gutshot draw flop call?

Hand 3: A few hands later I am on the button and am dealt AQo. Three limpers to me. Is this an automatic raise? EP limper playing T2s flops a set of tens, I turn in to a calling station and he takes it down with a boat when board rags pair.

One last hand: I am dealt KJo in UTG+1. UTG folds, I limp, am immediately raised, 2 callers after and I call. Flop is Kd 2h 9d. I bet, raiser folds (?!?), one caller. Turn is another 2. Bet and call. River is a non diamond rag, bet and fold. I don't think reraising pf is a good idea even after catching a few people raising with trash. Thoughts? I also bet out on the flop to see where I stood with raiser (he had raised pocket 8's two hands earlier, a hand he took down when kings paired on the board and all other cards were below 8). What about a checkraise instead? Of course, it might have gotten checked around as it seems everybody was on a draw of some kind.

Festus22
10-15-2003, 12:28 PM
Hand 1: I'd play any pair from anywhere if there's routinely 4+ seeing the flop and there's been minimal PF raising.

Hand 2: I count 7:1 when it's your turn. That's about the minimum to call a gutshot. Without the backdoor club draw and not many callers around, I'd probably bail.

Hand 3: A-Qo is not automatic raise when 3 have already limped. I'd likely limp as well but may occasionally raise.

Hand 4: In very loose games, I've started folding K-Jo in EP but that's kind of experiment so take it FWIW. Definitely don't reraise PF with it. Other than that, I think you played the hand fine.

Lost Wages
10-15-2003, 01:27 PM
Hand 1)
Since the table was tight/crazy fold. If loose and passive call.

Hand 2)
Easy call. In addition to your gutshot and backdoor flush, a seven or eight gives you an 8 out straight draw.

Hand 3)
Aways look for an excuse to raise on the button. AQo is plenty of excuse. If the blinds fold you have immediate pot equity. If the flop doesn't come as you like you will likely get a free turn card.

Hand 4)
Never play KJo in EP.

Lost Wages