PDA

View Full Version : Cubs go down, I freaking LOVE it!!!

Clarkmeister
10-14-2003, 11:15 PM
WOOHOOO!!!

HDPM
10-14-2003, 11:29 PM
It was f***g brutal. Ultimate irony is that a Cubs fan might have cost them the series with fan interference. I called my father during the unraveling and he couldn't talk about it. Unbelievable. /images/graemlins/confused.gif No, it's the Cubs, it's believable.

Clarkmeister
10-14-2003, 11:38 PM
I'm a Cardinal fan who grew up in Chicago after moving there in 3rd grade. I called my dad, who still lives in Chicago during the "8 in the 8th" implosion right as Alou missed the foul ball, and told him it was about to happen. I love it. Love it. Love it.

I told a buddy of mine, I didn't care if the Cubs lost in the Division Series, the NLCS or the WS, as long as it was excruciatingly painful. Almost there. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

How about Gonzalez making the routine play, or them not getting rocked after that. 2 of the runs were intentional walks too.

I just love it.

Redhotman
10-14-2003, 11:59 PM
I hope the Cubs win for all those old-timers out there, same goes for Boston.

Utah
10-15-2003, 12:50 AM
The shell shocked look on the fan's faces was simply priceless

andyfox
10-15-2003, 01:09 AM
It certainly was painful to watch. The only thing I remember being close was Greg Norman's epic collapse against Faldo in the Masters a while back.

The intentional walk is a throwback to idiotland. Why Dusty issued the second one with two outs is beyond me.

Nobody said anything about the bad throw Sammy made on the sac. fly, allowing the runner from first to move to second, causing the intentional BB and the ensuing disaster. He's got aboslutely no chance to get the guy at home.

A bad day for curses, considering the Red Sox lost. There was some talk about starting Wakefield on 1 days rest tomorrow; what about starting Pedro on 3 days rest? What are they saving him for?

daryn
10-15-2003, 01:16 AM
anyone who is suggesting they start pedro on 3 days rest is either insane, or doesn't know pedro. pedro needs his rest, or he is either going to hurt himself, or pitch terribly. pitch wakefield and save pedro for a possible game 7. or pitch burkett,

Clarkmeister
10-15-2003, 01:39 AM
It wasn't painful, it was wonderful.

Of course, I hated Norman too, so I had a blast that afternoon as well. Thanks for reminding me of a great memory.

HDPM
10-15-2003, 01:52 AM
Clark is just fine criticizing the Cubs. Calling his father rubbing it in maybe was bad. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif When I called my father it was more to comiserate than to mock the cubs. I am enough of a cubs fan to feel the pain, but not enough of one that I can't talk about it. (Although I must say I was getting into it and was amazed at the real possibility the Cubs could pull it off. The possibility of the utterly improbable excited me, although I figured on a major collapse.) I mean, anybody who has followed the cubs had to know what was going to happen after the foul ball deal and the error. It is kind of like watching a toddler run into traffic when you can't stop him. You know he will get run over. I figure they will lose in spectacular fashion tomorrow. Walks, errors, disasters. Go down meekly at the plate. I hope I am wrong, but I got a 58 year trend on my side.

I will say what has really disappointed me about this whole series. My father says he won't go to the World Series if the cubs win. I don't get this at all. He has been a fan his whole life and I think feels screwed that my grandfather couldn't get tickets in '45. I told him he must go at any price if the cubs make it, IF the cubs make it - no jinx here, but he says he can't fit in the trip to Chicago too busy yada yada. I mean I spent too many years seeing his signed scorecard from a no hitter - Holtzman right(?)- hearing how he thought about going to a game the day I was born, seeing him wear awful cubs jackets, hearing him spout off names of obscure cubs nobodies to have him bail out of going to the Series now. I mean, he I was happy I got Dee Fondi's autograph when Fondi was at a minor league game at like 70 years old or something. Dee Fondi? /images/graemlins/ooo.gif Makes me mad he won't go now. My pleasant Cubs memories are shorter to be sure, but I'd go to a series game at wrigley given the chance, unless the price was totally outrageous. But my father needs to go even if the price is outrageous. I don't get it. Perhaps the possibility of them winning is so overwhelming it cannot be comprehended and doesn't seem real. Would winning ruin it all?

baggins
10-15-2003, 02:00 AM
I was in class during the game, but heard all about it afterward. I am not by any definition a sports fan, but it is nice to see the home team make it this far. and although i think it's pretty dastardly and devilish of Clarkmeister to be rubbing it in like that, i must admit that i too cracked a smile seeing the replay of the most famous foul ball i know of (keep in mind i'm not a sports fan).

Clarkmeister
10-15-2003, 02:05 AM
To be clear, my Dad is also a Cardinal fan. He took me to game 7 of the 82 Series against the Brewers when I was in 5th grade. I was calling him to make sure he wasn't missing out. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

He was just as bad as me, talking about what fun he was going to have with the Cub fans at work tomorrow. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

andyfox
10-15-2003, 12:31 PM
"save pedro for a possible game 7"

In 1962, the Dodgers took a big lead into the 9th inning in the game for the pennant agains the Giants. When their pitcher got into trouble, Walter Alston had 25 game winner Don Drysdale and non-25 game winner Stan Williams in the bullpen. He called in Wiliams. And The Giants Win The Pennant.

The reporters asked Alston why he didn't bring in Drysdale. His immortal reply was "I'm saving him for the World Series." O'Malley heard this and fired him, but Buzzy Bavasi pleaded for Alston and he got his job back (and won the World Series the next year).

I'd rather have Pedro on 3 days rest than Burkett on any days rest.

I understand there's a chance of a rain-out, which will get the Red Sox off the hook.

andyfox
10-15-2003, 12:43 PM
The guy who must feel a little snake-bit is Dusty Baker.

His last game 6 when he had a 3 games to 2 lead, his team led 5-0 in the 8th inning. Then disaster. By the end of the next day, they had finished second. This time he leads 3-0. Another disaster.

On another note, my least favorite player has to be Manny Ramirez. It's a shame, because he's a great hitter, but what an airhead. Nomar hasn't had a hit in 6 weeks, but watch him. Every time he hits a pop-up or a weak ground ball he's running as hard as he can and he's hustling all the time in the field. (He was the guy who picked up the ball after the Damon/Jackson collision and threw out the runner at second base.)

Running and thinking are two things Manny apparently avoids. He loafs on ground balls, on pop-ups, on home runs, and in the outfield. He watches every ball until it gets to the fielder, then takes a casual stroll towards first base. What can one expect, I guess, from a player who, during the heat of a pennant race, muses publicly on how nice it would be to play for the other team.

J.R.
10-15-2003, 01:12 PM
Didn't Nomar fail to run hard on a dropped pop-up in the A's series and only got to first base?

Oski
10-15-2003, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"save pedro for a possible game 7"

In 1962, the Dodgers took a big lead into the 9th inning in the game for the pennant agains the Giants. When their pitcher got into trouble, Walter Alston had 25 game winner Don Drysdale and non-25 game winner Stan Williams in the bullpen. He called in Wiliams. And The Giants Win The Pennant. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

If tonight was game 7, sure, you have to go with Pedro on 3-days rest. However, as opposed to saving Drysdale for the World Series, BoSox still have to win 6 and 7 to get to World Series. So, its not a question of saving Pedro for the World Series, its about maximizing the chances of winning 6 AND 7. Yes, Boston may improve their chances of winning game 6 by starting Pedro, but at what cost? - they still have to win game 7 anyway. Really, if BoSox lose game 7, it doesn't matter whether they won 6.

So, I think the Sox should scrap through game 6 and if get lucky enough to get to game 7, they will have a rested Pedro who has the ability to shut down any team for one game. Gotta take the best shot available.

IrishHand
10-15-2003, 02:08 PM
I'd have been thrilled to see the Cubs win for so many years if they hadn't hitched their wagon to a moron manager. I respect the fact that the guy is good at his job - he won with mediocrity in SF, and he's doing the same this year - but he's an egomaniac. How do you get fired after enjoying unparalleled success in SF for three years? Plus, having his kid in the dugout is an insult to any real baseball fan. Enough of that ranting though - I'm with Clark. Matters not to me how they lose, so long as it's painful. My top choice was a loss to the Sox in the Series, but this will do just fine. Bring it home, fishies!

Irish

Joe Tall
10-15-2003, 03:03 PM
And if the Sox need 7 again to win it all, I'll be there, have faith.

God bless Burkett,
JT

daryn
10-15-2003, 03:03 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this statement.. but i think i might rather see wakefield (who doesn't need much rest obviously) pitch game 6 and save pedro for 7.. just a thought.

Clarkmeister
10-15-2003, 03:16 PM
Good post. This is exactly why saving Pedro for game 7 is the right move.

Phat Mack
10-15-2003, 04:50 PM
I called my dad, who still lives in Chicago during the "8 in the 8th" implosion right as Alou missed the foul ball, and told him it was about to happen.

As the 8th inning was starting, the old guy in the seat next to me says, "The Cubbies have it locked up." I turn to give him "the look," and I'm staring at the spitting image of Leo "the Lip" Durocher. I didn't have the heart.

In a way, I feel sorry for Cubs fans everywhere; but I must admit that I slept very well last night knowing that God was in his heaven, and all was right with the world.