PDA

View Full Version : Five Card Stud

07-04-2002, 05:43 PM
I've been invited to a REALLY soft five card stud game. Where can I get a quick primer? I play hold 'em almost exclusively. Is there a good book? An online primer perhaps? These people don't have any idea how to play poker, so I won't need much to get an upperhand.

Thanks,

Zach

07-05-2002, 03:02 AM
A lot of the old writers had pretty good sections on 5-card stud. I am assuming you are playing in a limit game with little or no ante and the high card bringing it in.

Norman Zadeh's Winning Poker $y$tems

Albert Morehead's Complete Guide to Winning Poker

both have ten-page sections covering the basics. A book I really like is Herbert Yardley's Education of a Poker Player which has a slightly longer section.

I see all of these books at used book stores.

If it's no limit, and you're an experienced NL player, I think any of the above books will give you enough info to get your feet on the ground.

Have fun.

07-05-2002, 05:16 PM

07-06-2002, 02:57 AM
Check your local public library's website for books on poker which are located at 795. "Oswald Jacaby on Poker" is classic and has a whole chapter devoted to five card stud. "Poker Strategy and Winning Play" by A.D. Livingston is another good book which also has numerous math tables on the most popular forms of poker.

Five card stud is a pretty boring game. Six card stud is a little better, however. Six card Mexican is has more action and is fun to play.

07-06-2002, 04:46 PM
know why they play five card stud. However, I know these people and there's not a poker player in the group. I'm sure I already have the upperhand, but I'd like to really dominate this game.

Thanks for your help,

Zach

07-07-2002, 03:44 PM
I hadn't played it in decades, but they started playing NL 5CS stacks while waiting for the thurs nite PLO game to start. I'd forgotten how much fun it is when played no limit. Some of the young yahoos show a real flair for the game...