PDA

View Full Version : Winning % on Party Poker

southerndog
10-14-2003, 03:02 PM
I am relatively new to Party Poker, but for my past few sessions I have been winning 6-7% of hands. Is it possible to win money at this rate? Am I just catching lousy cards? I don't want to pour a bad beat story on, just want to know what % I should be at to expect to win money. I realize other factors come in, like how much you win with winning and how much you lose with your losers. Just like to know what % you have to be at in order to be winning.

Thanks,

Dog

J.R.
10-14-2003, 03:08 PM
At a full table I only play about 20% of my hands, and win about 30% of the hands I play, or 5-6%, and I am pleased with my results. These numbers of course vary given the texture of the game, but on average, you can be a winning player taking down pots in 5% or 6% of the hands you are dealt.

Festus22
10-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Here's a link to a similar thread you may find interesting.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=370297&page=5&view=ex panded&sb=5&o=14&fpart=

southerndog
10-14-2003, 03:16 PM
How can you only play 20% of hands, when you could expect to play at least one or two for each rotation, just by virtue of being in the blinds? That seems really low. I guess I need to tighten up.

Mike Gallo
10-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Dog,

I typically play between 13-20% of my hands.
Some nights I drop as low as 13% percent, other nights I go as high as 23% however it usually levels off around 18%.

Post some hands.

J.R.
10-14-2003, 03:31 PM
I play in pretty aggressive games so I often face a raise from the big blind. I also play in structures where the sb is less than one-half the big blind (3-6 and 5-10), so I do not complete very often from the small blind.

I also might be using the wrong terminology, because I am referring to my stats as provided by party, and I think those stats are for seeing the flop, something that doesn't happen when I steal the blinds. Nonetheless, blind steals aren't such a great percentage of my hands, so I think its accurate to say I see the flop about 20% of the time. This number is higher, about 25-30%, in more passive 2-4 games with a proportionately larger small blind.

squiffy
10-14-2003, 03:37 PM
If you fold the small bind, instead of completing, when you have 2,3 offsuit, maybe that hand does not count in your hands played percentage.

DrMrktr
10-14-2003, 04:22 PM
As has been pointed out already, with 10 people at the table, everyone should average 10% wins. All the books make this point. Ok, so we are going to fold some winning hands. But, so is everyone else. Seems like that should balance out somewhat.

Is it unreasonable to expect to win 10% long term? And, shouldn't a good player exceed 10% because he is out playing the others?

Most of the books also suggest that the "relatively tight" list of starting hands represents 25 to 30% of the possible hands. Ergo, one would assume that this is a fairly reasonable number of flops a good player would see over the long term. Is this wrong?

So, if one was seeing 25% of the flops and winning 10% of the hands then the percent of wins where the flop is seen would have to be 40%.

Given a long-term perspective, what is wrong with these assumptions?

Nate tha' Great
10-14-2003, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of the books also suggest that the "relatively tight" list of starting hands represents 25 to 30% of the possible hands. Ergo, one would assume that this is a fairly reasonable number of flops a good player would see over the long term. Is this wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

On a passive table, possibly, but a lot of those relatively good hands are relatively bad after someone has raised in front of you, and you need to muck them.

TobDog
10-14-2003, 04:40 PM
I tried that one a few months ago and got shot down, if you are playing 'tight' or tighter than your opponents, your flop see % will be around 20% if your ont eh loose side it could be around 30% most here will tell you that is way too loose for 10 handed ring play. You each will win an average of 10% if all hands were played to river and noone folded, but as better players do, fold hands that they think have no place winning thus running down your % to below that 10%. Now if you are catching a nice run af cards, your % can and probably will be higher(sometimes over 10%) for the short term, but you will also have some times where your shortterm is well below that 6-8% too. The % wins is of hands dealt, there is also a stat on some software that shows win % if flop seen, that would be closer to your 40% you mention.

BigEndian
10-14-2003, 04:50 PM
I don't think you want to win hands, you want to win $. And I don't believe that's the same thing. If all things were equal, sure, you want 10% of the hands. But then, if all things were equal no one would ever win anything.

- Groove

southerndog
10-14-2003, 04:50 PM
I appreciate MG's response to my question. I figured maybe he was playing games where he was having to fold his blinds. My point was valid, and your less than clever response was not.

Peter Principle
10-14-2003, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I typically play between 13-20% of my hands.
Some nights I drop as low as 13% percent, other nights I go as high as 23% however it usually levels off around 18%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this 13-23% be the VP$IP (voluntarily put money in the pot) percentage as shown by PokerTracker? I'm trying to figure out how to correlate PokerTracker stats with what I read about in this forum...

STOSH1
10-14-2003, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just like to know what % you have to be at in order to be winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've won money with 4% hands won /images/graemlins/smile.gif and lost money with 8% hands won. /images/graemlins/frown.gif (ran up against quads holding the top boat) Depends how big the pots you do win are and if you are making all the value bets you should.

NoChance
10-14-2003, 05:55 PM
Poker Tracker will show you both numbers. That first section on the general tab shows your VP$IP. Click the More Detail button in that same section and you will see your total see-the-flop percentage.

Peter Principle
10-14-2003, 06:04 PM

CBenfer
10-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Hey there. I haven't been playing long on Party (couple of months), but I seem to be in the winning column more often that the losing one.

As Party calculates the stats, I tend to be in the 12-16% win rate when I'm on a big rush and in the 6-8% range on average. I'm usually in the 20-25% range on flops seen. The % of wins when flops seen seems to vary a lot on any given night.

Actually, one stat I pay a lot of attention to is the showdown win %. I'm not sure what the general feeling on this forum is, but I figure if I'm high in that number then I'm not giving away too much cash on second best hands. I try to be above 65-70% on that stat.

Any thoughts?

- Chris

LondonBroil
10-14-2003, 09:47 PM
I was always under the impression that your showdown win % should be around 60-65% (correct?). Any higher than that and you might be folding the winning hand on the river every so often. Tell me, have you ever called a river bet with Ace high?

CBenfer
10-15-2003, 08:08 PM
Regarding calling a river bet with Ace-high, I'd probably say that "never" is too strong a word. I probably have done it if I'm fairly certain the other player is bluffing, but as a general rule I would not.