PDA

View Full Version : What books should I read?

07-02-2002, 07:07 PM
I am currently having trouble going back and forth between books. Does anyone know or has anyone benefited from a strict set of guidelines for the books I should read? And in what order?

07-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Well the best 'all around' book is The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky. Actually I think that it is the greatest book on poker period. Other than that we need to know what games you play or are interested in playing. Also what level is your experience?

If you are relatively new and want to learn Stud. I would pick up Roy West's book. If you are more experienced than Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players is your book.

For Hold'em Either David's book Hold'Em Poker or Hold'Em for Advanced Players are your optimum choices.

I can't comment on the high/Low games as I don't play them but I would be willing to bet that Ray Zee's book is probably the best.

Best of Luck,

CJ

07-02-2002, 11:37 PM
Here's the order, I reccomend you use:

1. Hold'em Poker by David Sklansky

2. Theory of Poker by David Sklansky

3. Hold'em Poker For Advanced Players by David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth

4. Caro's Book of Tells by Mike Caro

5. Poker Essays Volume I, II, and II by Mason Malmuth

That will keep you busy for a while.

If you play stud rather than Hold'em, make the following replacements

1. 7 Card Stud: 42 Lessons by Roy West

3. 7 Card Stud for Advanced Players by David Sklansky, Mason Malmuth, and Ray Zee

07-03-2002, 12:32 AM
TOP is the best of the "how-to" books. There are other books that are more entertaining and better written. The recommendations that CJ and Dynasty make are right on, and I just want to confirm that Ray Zee's book is a must if you're going to play split pot games.