PDA

View Full Version : I threw away winning hand in $127 pot at 3/6!

thwang99
10-14-2003, 05:12 AM
I'm so mad at myself! I threw away the winning hand of a $127 pot!

Posted in LP so I have no idea who players are. Online 3/6. I get dealt JTo. I check, someone after me raises, 8 players in (2 folded PREFLOP!), so of course I call the raise, then my left 3bets preflop, all call, and of course I call. Flop J67. Person to my right bets, most call. Turn 8. I have a gutshot straight now. My right bets, I call, my left raises! I'm thinking set or straight, or 2 pair. I call hoping to hit a 9 or a J, but mostly hoping for a 9. River a 2 or 3, no flush. My right now bets? I fold fearing a raise from my left. Left of me now calls, good fold by me, I'm thinking. Left shows T7o for a pair of 7's!!! And drags a $127 pot, crazy.

- Tony

Max Weinberg
10-14-2003, 05:52 AM
Why didn't you raise the flop?

thwang99
10-14-2003, 06:08 AM
I know, I should have, even though I suspected an overpair to be out there, the pot was too big at that point... I just didn't think anyone would fold, and I played cautiously. - Tony

chesspain
10-14-2003, 07:41 AM
I hope Mike doesn't read this thread. I don't think I could handle a new discourse about how JTo could drag a family pot /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe Tall
10-14-2003, 08:25 AM
You played this hand weak, you should have raised the flop.

Peace,
JT

John J
10-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Why should he have raised the flop? Isn't a 10 considered a weak/medium kicker?

Gamblor
10-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Even if an overpair is out there, you raise the flop and if you're 3-bet, you can consider a fold.

You save more by making it 3 before the flop than calling 2 BBs on the turn and river if you're beat, and if you're not beat, you might knock out some gutshots and weaker draws.

Worst case, you make them pay more to catch.

thwang99
10-14-2003, 01:00 PM
An update, the person to my left, Mr T7o preflop limp, was crazy. An action junkie. He'd limp, and if someone raises and there are 2 or 3+ people in the pot, he'd almost always 3-bet! He loves big pots. Loves to raise when there's several callers. I used that to my advantage later. Ended even at the table, because I lost a few key hands against him. Biggest was a $100+ pot when I had QQ (I 2 or 3-bet preflop, forgot which), flop JT9 two spades, I didn't have a spade. Turn 8s. River a small spade. 98o raised me on the turn, lots of betting, I just called. He raised on the turn with K3o, with the Ks! I called of course, thinking I would split with the third player, but anyways, he ends up dragging the pot with a runner runner flush when he was going for the Q for a K high stragith.

- Tony

Homer
10-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Why should he have raised the flop? Isn't a 10 considered a weak/medium kicker?

John, as the pot size increases, you should start doing anything you can to knock out opponents, in order to increase your chances of taking down the pot. In this case there are already 24 small bets in the pot, which makes it a huge pot.

With JT on a J67 flop, you must raise to knock out hands like AQ, AK, KQ, AT, T9, T8, etc. Note that some of these hands should call two bets cold, but still you must raise and give them a chance to make a bad fold.

If your extra half bet investment increases your probability of winning the pot by even 3% then it was worth it (if you win the 24 small bets an extra 3% of the time your EV has increased by .72 small bets, which is greater than your investment of .5 small bets).

-- Homer

tiltboy
10-14-2003, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
which is greater than your investment of .5 small bets).

[/ QUOTE ]
Minor nit: Isn't his investment (the raise) 1 small bet?

Bob T.
10-15-2003, 04:48 AM
Preflop-check, call, call.

Flop-call.

Turn-call, call.

River-fold.

I would have more sympathy for your plight here, if you had raised either the flop, or the turn.