PDA

View Full Version : A friend made me a deal...is it good / bad / average?

MrGrob
10-14-2003, 04:46 AM
My friend made me an offer to back me in games in Louisiana (he said he could do about $500) and I would have to pay for the gas up there (hotel too if needed, or we may split that, I am not 100% sure on this part of the deal). He has seen "Rounders", so obviously it is 100% of the loses on him, 50% of any of my winnings. I ask another poker player, who I don't know that well personally, but who plays more live poker than I, and he said that was pretty standard and that it is always good to have someone back you.

What do you guys think?

Oh, and ON this note -- where would be a good place to take a $500 roll and find good games? I don't know the card rooms in LA at all...figure some of you guys have probably played a few /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Dynasty
10-14-2003, 04:09 PM
With a $500 bankroll, you should find any 1-2 game to play in. I'm sure they're all good. If you want to get risky with your bankroll, you could play 2-4.

As for the deal, it's great for you and terrible for him. You can't lose.

MrGrob
10-15-2003, 02:36 AM
I can find some names online, but don't know the nice places, or "safe" /images/graemlins/smirk.gif places, as I have never been to LA at all...anyone have a favorite room or someplace with good comps, or anything? I would be going to make some cash, but also enjoy the time played, room, etc...if y'all can point me in the right direction, that would be cool of ya!

Dynasty
10-15-2003, 04:22 AM
In LA, I would definately play at the Commerce. It's also worth checking out the Bicycle.

Edit: I reread the orignal post and LA obviously means Louisiana. I've never been there but lots of people have said good things about Harrah's.

MrGrob
10-15-2003, 04:28 AM

RollaJ
10-15-2003, 12:18 PM
Its your friends money, and you are not looking to turn pro. From my understanding it is a one day trip,right? If so play 5-10 or 10-20 with a strong leaning towards 10-20. Do not play under 3-6, and even that is extreme!

Dynasty
10-15-2003, 05:33 PM
The use of the word bankroll made me think that this $500 would be used over more than just a day or two. If it's just a one or two day trip, then you can get away with playing higher than 3-6. Play at the highest limit in which you have an advantage. If you can beat 10-20, you should definitely play there.

Ed Miller
10-15-2003, 06:04 PM
If I could get a deal like this from someone that I would

a) not feel socially awkward with after losing lots of his money, and
b) not worry about reprisals from after losing lots of his money, and

If I could move to a higher limit that I can beat for a much larger winrate, but that I don't have the bankroll for, then I would probably never play my own money again. This deal is fantastic for you.

MrGrob
10-15-2003, 11:55 PM

David
10-16-2003, 12:28 AM
I have played extensively in Louisiana. On a 1 day trip with $500 (assuming you are a competent player) definitely The Isle of Capri in Lake Charles. I would also make it a point to go on either the first or third Saturday of the month as these are the days they have their tourney. Don't play in the tourney if you only have $500. Play 10/20 starting Saturday afternoon when players are busting out of the tourney. $500 isn't much, but you could double it or better in those games. You could also lose it quick. I described these games in another post as "hold on to your a$$ wild and wooly". That is exactly what they are. I have played thousands of hours in this very game and can tell you it is (generally speaking) the best game I have ever played in. Nothing in Vegas or elsewhere in Louisiana compares that I know of. All this is posted with the understanding that this is just a one time shot with an extra $500, not your "bankroll". I-10 from Houston to exit 27 in Louisiana, stay on the feeder road and it takes you right into the parking lot of the Isle. Play well! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS.....comps....they are the best around with comps, I always get my room and meals comped. Saturday night will be almost impossible to get your room comped if you are not a regular though.

Michael Davis
10-16-2003, 04:28 PM
If this is a short term deal, I'd gamble it up in higher stakes than a $500 bankroll would normally warrant.

Everyone thinks this deal is good for you, but I'm not so sure. Obviously, it's great, since you can't possibly lose. But if it is a longterm deal, imagine being up $10K and having to give half of that up. If you can beat the game and know you can, why give up half of your profits? Take some losses in the short term with your own money for greater long term expectation.

If you're good, this deal is a lot better theoretically than practically.

-Mike

MrGrob
10-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Yea, this would be a short term thing, messured in days...that would kinda suck to have to give 1/2 of 10,000 away /images/graemlins/shocked.gif heck...I'd be shocked at HAVING 10,000 /images/graemlins/grin.gif