PDA

View Full Version : Can you fold an overpair?

The Ram
10-13-2003, 04:42 PM
3/6 game at Party.

JJ utg, raise and get called by MP and SB. BB 3bets.

Actually first off, is it way too weak to just call if I'm fairly certain that both cold callers will call 2 more (they were both incredibly loose-passive preflop)? I figure I'm increasing my EV by making them pay more for their flops, but part of the reason I just decided to call was because of the following:

The BB had just "woken up" from perhaps a Party Poker record of consecutive folds. Additionally, I don't think he would have 3bet in that spot w/ AK.

So, I start to get a little wary of a bigger pair than mine, but clearly not so much that I can't continue in the hand w/ a degree of confidence.

Flop comes 962 rainbow. SB checks, BB bets, I raise, MP calls, SB folds and BB 3bets. At this point, I'm thinking that it's VERY likely that I'm up against a big pair, but I clearly call to peel one for the turn, and so does MP.
Turn is 10, BB bets out. So now a draw has potentially come in for the guy behind me, and I'm even more certain than before of my overpair read.

My decision was to call down, but I'm not sure if that's right. Admittedly, some of these people on Party do some truly insane things, so it's possible that I am actually ahead still, though in this case I really just don't think so.

(The river was another 2, called and MP folded. BB flipped up KK)

So, my question is, was I wrong to keep calling down--assuming of course I didn't get a dangerous river (i.e. A or K)? The only reasonable thing I can think of is that I'm losing, either to a bigger wired or MAYBE to TT that turned a set.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I'm finding that giving up bets in circumstances like this "just to be sure" is a recurring problem of mine. Thanks.

Redhotman
10-13-2003, 05:01 PM
Against a player that tight I definitely lay down on the turn. There isnt enough money in the pot to justify calling

BigEndian
10-13-2003, 05:27 PM
I play it just like you did. I don't like to lay down my big pairs. Now, if the third man had suddenly come alive on the turn or river, I would give serious thought to folding.

- Groove

Mike Gallo
10-13-2003, 06:59 PM
Welcome aboard Ram,

When a player who has not played in a long time three bets from the big blind look out. The player usually has a big hand.

You played the flop well. You raised for info, he reraised you called and decided to fold if you did not hit your set.

He played his KK fast. He could have smooth called your raise and gone for a check raise on the turn, or bet right into you again. Either way, I think you released the hand at the correct time.