PDA

View Full Version : Getting reraised with AK, biggest leak in my game

Redhotman
10-13-2003, 01:43 PM
How do u play a reraised AK when the board does not help you. Do you bet the turn?

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-13-2003, 01:56 PM
Be more specific. Reraised when? Preflop or on the flop?

Bob T.
10-13-2003, 02:41 PM
What position did you raise in? What position did your opponent three bet in? What are his three betting standards? Do you have any backdoor draws? How have you played in this situation previously in this session? How has your opponent been playing? How do you want him and your other opponents to play against you in future hands?

Probably some more questions also, but if you have the answers to these, then you can start to make a plan for this hand.

Every hand, every situation is a little different, and finding the clues to the little differences and adding them together usually gets you a useful response.

me454555
10-13-2003, 02:52 PM
I generally fold AK if I'm bet into and the flop doesn't help. If its just 2 over cards vs a pair, your not in a real good position. Again this all depends on the texture of the flop, play of the game, and size of the pot.

pudley4
10-13-2003, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you bet the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends...

Mike Gallo
10-13-2003, 02:57 PM
RedHot,

Post some hands. You will recieve better answers.

SittingBull
10-13-2003, 03:37 PM
either micro-limit or low-limit since u posted on 'low-limitstakes'.
If ur raised pre-flopped and u receive no help on flop,FOLD.
If ur raised post-flop and u received no help on flop,FOLD.
Usually at these limits,the players are Str8 forward.
They bet when they have the "goods';they check when they believe that they are beat.
Happypokering, /images/graemlins/smile.gif
SittingBull

Redhotman
10-13-2003, 03:59 PM
The Specific scenerio that I have troube with is when I raise pre-flop with AK, and then reraised by someone behind me or in the blinds. At $3/$6, there is very little limp/reraising.

The main problems comes because I am often reraised by AK, when I raise with hands like JJ, QQ, ect. And when I dont hit with my AK I become paranoid that my oponent has AK and is stealing the pot from me.

I normally check-call the flop. And fold to a turn bet, unless I gain more outs. Is this the correct play?

AK, is a particulary tough hand to play from early/middle position. When the flop doesnt turn an Ace/King you are often bluffing and out of position.

What are your opinions on limping versus raising AK from early/EM poisition?

Bob T.
10-13-2003, 04:20 PM
Occasionally, you should call down with Ace high, Sometimes, you should checkraise the flop or turn.

Redhotman
10-13-2003, 04:46 PM
Any publication which covers these moves specifically?

Bob T.
10-13-2003, 08:01 PM
Middle limit Holdem by Ciaffone and Brier talks about this situation.

Playing, posting hands, and trying to figure it out, and then repeating, is also a good way to try and figure it out. The fact that you aren't happy with your play, and that you are trying to improve in this situation, and it is a tough situation, indicates that you are ready to try and figure out how to improve in this spot.

Look at the list of questions that I posed in response to your original post in this thread, try and figure out how each one affects your play, and then at different times, try and use the answer to choose a play.

Sometimes the right answer is check and fold, sometimes it is make some other play.

Anytime you get three bet, you are obviously in danger, but when you have AK, at the same time, you frequently have outs, or sometime even the lead. Sometime you will post a hand, and someone will respond 'do this, and then play poker.' What they are trying to tell you, is that you have to figure out, where you are in the hand, and how to best proceed. In this situation it is very opponent and situation dependent, and you have to figure out your opponent, and the situation, and get to an answer.

No matter how good you are, you are going to make a lot of mistakes in this situation, but with more experience, you will sometime be able to figure out when you are likely ahead, and when you are likely behind, and when you can't figure it out, and have to make a guess.

Play some more, post some more, and then try and figure it out some more, and after a while, you will be writing a response to this question for someone else.

I know that I didn't give you any specific advice here, but I hope that this helped.

chesspain
10-13-2003, 08:53 PM
Especially in those hands where only four other players or fewer see the flop, I love playing AK from EP (after raising PF, of course), because I get to bluff, out of position, before anyone else has had a chance to act.

The fairly high percentage of times I can take the pot right then, especially if the flop is somewhat raggedy, has definately made this a +EV play for me.