PDA

View Full Version : TPFAP

06-22-2002, 05:42 AM
I'm sorry but there is one thing I'm not sure if I agree on what David wrote.....on pg.40-41

I'm not sure first of all if the statement refers to Limit Tournament of No-Limit Tournament...

He states that if you raise with AA

and the flop is Q 3 2, and you bet the flop and are called, you should usually go for a checkraise on 4th St.

In No-Limit I would definitley have to disagree with this.....When you are called in NO-LIMIT especially by a good player....He is usually holding something very big......so his call should TERRIFY YOU.....he might be lurking with a Set. this is my standard play......when someone bets into me, and I have a set, I will infact call and I think most good players do this too.

Comments appreciated-

06-22-2002, 05:43 AM
also further down the page, I would never raise with AJs, in NO-LIMIT....if you are still in the beginning or middle stages in a tournament....

You either win a small with this hand, or lose a lot...especially when you flop only an ACE....

06-24-2002, 10:58 AM
You seem to have answered your own question in a sense. If it is a good player, be wary. The two bottom sets are of little concern, first because few would call a raise preflop with 22 or 33,(assuming brains in players, dangerous, I know). Alot depends on the size of the raise. If it's limit play, QQ is reraising you 90% of the time. If it's no limit, if your raise was only, say double the blinds, the same situation applies. If you raise more than that and he calls, you pretty much have to figure a drawing hand. A QQ call here is more weak than tricky. On a Q32 flop, assuming rainbow, only QQ beats you right now assuming standard play. Probable holdings here I'd say are AK,AQ,KQ,KK,QQ, and maybe JJ-99. Only one of those scares you here. I'd say definitely go for the checkraise under almost any situation except MAYBE a king hitting. Also, in no limit, a set is usually raising you here, as the pot is big enough to take down now.

When in doubt, always remember; It's David Sklansky-he went 800 math on his SAT's and is the most respected poker theorist ever. Also remember that the answer to all poker questions starts with, "It depends".

06-25-2002, 03:00 AM
Im sure he is referring to limit play. I think most of the book is talking of limit play, but the few pieces of info on no limit are gold.

06-25-2002, 05:41 PM
Now if only we could get that English SAT score up around 600 or so, maybe we could all communicate with him. The sad point of genius is that it stands in the way of good dialogue, probably why it is met with such violence.