PDA

View Full Version : Bad Play or Bad Luck?

bigslick98
10-13-2003, 09:09 AM
2/4 Paradise game. Fairly loose one real aggressive player who is not in the hand. UTG I just call with AQo....could have been the big mistake. MP and LP also call as well as both blinds. Flop comes 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I decide to check and hope for a bet so I can check raise. The bet comes from the button, both blinds fold and I pop it. The MP player folds and the button calls. The turn brings 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif putting two spades on the board. I lead out and the button calls me. The river is T /images/graemlins/spade.gif putting a possible flush on the board (2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif). I lead out and get raised. I make a crying call and he shows me K /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the flush and the win. My question is did I play this correctly or should I have raised pre-flop and just have led out on the flop? In addition, if you can find any other mistakes in my play, please let me know.

lil'
10-13-2003, 09:40 AM
Your only real mistake was not raising pre-flop.

Brian33
10-13-2003, 10:47 AM
Hi,

Just curious as to why he should have raised pre-flop? Is it because one should always raise pre-flop with AQo? Or would it have also affected the other guy's play? I don't see the other guy playing it differently if hero raised pre-flop.

lil'
10-13-2003, 10:56 AM
A-Q is a good hand. If nobody else has raised I raise it.

I'm curious why you wouldn't raise it.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-13-2003, 11:53 AM
90% of the time I'd raise preflop.

On the flop, bet out.

I doubt either play would have saved you here, but in general, you'll win more that way when your hand holds up.

Louie Landale
10-13-2003, 01:24 PM
First off, there is NO way you can win this pot. If the button is loose enough to bet-call with no pair one over-card ON the flop against the tight UTG player, surely he's going to call a PF raise and a flop bet.

The only questionable play here is the flat PF call. This is no disaster but in the loose games you might as well raise since you are going to get a play with lots of worse hands anyway. Once you DO call, check-raising the flop is OK since that's a pretty benign board.

- Louie

bigslick98
10-13-2003, 04:24 PM
The reson I did not raise is because with a loose game aren't you suppose to limp with a hand like AQo....atleast that is what I have learned from reading HPFAP. They basically say you will have hands like 87s folding but is that what you really want. Plus I am UTG, so I have not seen anyone act. Please correct me if I am wrong...Thanks in advance.

John J
10-13-2003, 04:32 PM
I would have raised preflop, but more importantly, would you guys the raise here on the river? I doubt he is raising and representing the flush on a pure bluff. I probably would not call this raise with anything less than two pair.

The Ram
10-13-2003, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

Just curious as to why he should have raised pre-flop? Is it because one should always raise pre-flop with AQo? Or would it have also affected the other guy's play? I don't see the other guy playing it differently if hero raised pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your response is very results-oriented. Think of the following: Would you raise AA preflop? What if it came down 772 and some guy called you w/ 72o? Was the raise preflop wrong?

AQo is strong enough to raise in most games. You might as well get your money when you're ahead, and make them pay to catch up.