PDA

View Full Version : Should I have hung on tighter?...

chesspain
10-13-2003, 08:28 AM
Party .5/1 table; I've only been there for a couple of orbits, although the CO already has struck me as rather aggressive. I don't have a good read yet on anyone else.

I'm dealt J /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in UTG

I raise, folded to MP who reraises, CO coldcalls three bets, folded to the big blind who coldcalls two, and I call (I see no rather to cap here with only jacks, since no one is folding for the one extra SB).

4 /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to me, I bet, MP raises, CO coldcalls, I call

[4 /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif] 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, MP bets, CO calls, I fold

Should I have checked and called to the end, or can I assume I am toast with the overcards on the board and save the rest of my money?

Ed Miller
10-13-2003, 08:48 AM
What doesn't make any sense to me is your choice not to 4-bet preflop combined with your choice to bet the flop. You are looking much better preflop than you are after that flop. Not suggesting that you 4-bet preflop... just think the flop bet is very strange. Calling down tenaciously in this situation is almost certainly a long-term loser.

lil'
10-13-2003, 09:27 AM
What are you hoping to accomplish with that flop bet? Are you hoping both MP and CO have exactly K-K and will be scared by the ace? Your hand once was pretty but now you should be lucky if you aren't in last place. You gotta let it go without tossing more money in.

Aaron Lovi
10-13-2003, 09:36 AM
I'd let go for the first bet on the flop. If you're looking for a guideline here, I'd think "two overcards". Usually means you are drawing almost dead. I agree with everyone else, no reason to bet the flop.

chesspain
10-13-2003, 06:54 PM
MP showed T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif
CO showed 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif (!?!?)

I didn't enjoy getting outmaneuvered by the MP, although with the CO still in the hand, it was difficult to believe that my jacks were good.

P.S. I didn't cap PF because I did not think that the other three players were going to be awe-inspired by my putting in that last bet. In addition, I assumed with three others putting in all of those bets that I may well have already been behind a bigger pair...I guess not /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Louie Landale
10-13-2003, 07:02 PM
Other than AsKs4d, name a worse flop. Go ahead and try.

You've got the "best" hand maybe one time in 20, and it will "hold up" about one time in 24. You are out of position. The opponents are bewilderingly aggressive.

This is definately a no-brainer. Check and fold the flop.

- Louie

The only exception would be if you were SURE they MAY 3-bet and call raises with small cards, AND may bet and call ON the flop with them, AND will definately check the turn and let your JJ win without any further pressure. Then you may call the flop hoping for a free show-down. Even then, the call is pretty marginal.

Some_Guy
10-13-2003, 09:38 PM
As you said, you didn't have a good read on the table yet.

I think you just got a good read on MP and CO. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

It bites that you would have won but I guess you treat 'em as normal until they show otherwise.