PDA

View Full Version : David Daniel's poker book

06-13-2002, 01:39 AM
Has anyone read ‘POKER How to win at the great American game” by David A. Daniel? I have heard no comments from the poker press. I may have bought the only one he sold. It appears to be a good book on forming your table image and reading opponents. Any comments?

‘POKER How to win at the great American game”

by David A. Daniel

Barricade Books, Inc

ISBN1-56980-093-6

06-13-2002, 01:47 AM
Here's my review.

Poker: How to Win at the Great American Game (1) by David A. Daniel. This text is mostly about the adventures of the author as he plays one incredible hand after another, and rakes in all the money. Each of these hands is suppose to illustrate some concept that the author is talking about but they are so ludicrous that you have to wonder if Mr. Daniel really plays much poker. My favorite hand in the text is when the author is dealt four jacks in a draw lowball game, the pot is multiway, and instead of throwing the four jacks away he caps the betting. Of course our hero stands pat and everyone else draws at least one card. After the draw the first player bets, the next player calls, the next player raises, the following player reraises, and our hero raises again. As expected, everyone now folds. The author explains that “I knew the players, and I knew they were sandbaggers all.” Obviously following this advice can be fatal to your bankroll.

06-13-2002, 11:48 AM
Actually, I kinda liked how he played this hand. Poker, afterall, is a game of people and there is no substitute for knowledge of the inner workings of the minds of one's adversaries. With my keen talents of perception and deep knowledge of the advanced techniques of the game, I would have played the hand the exact same way he played it and would have reaped the same brilliant results. /images/wink.gif

06-13-2002, 02:57 PM
please remember that many of the example hands he gives that seem spectacular include the disclaimers that a) the author has played with these same opponents every week for years, b) some take place in a 'limit game' where the big bet is $5.

This is surely a different way to look at poker than 2+2 authors provide. It treats poker more artfully than scientifically. I believe a good player can combine the sound concepts given by 2+2 authors with the people advice given by Daniel to augment their game.

06-13-2002, 03:34 PM
Is this the same John Patrick that wrotes all the "so you wanna be a gambler..." books?

just curious...

06-13-2002, 03:54 PM
Actually it is someone making fun of him... ya know, mocking him. He seems to be the big joke among the gambling scene.

06-13-2002, 06:15 PM
David Daniel's was the first poker book I bought. It was his description of the 'people skills' that intrigued me to take poker more seriously and apply those people skills in my personal life. They work.

It would be nice if we could expect some complete and fair reviews on material not produced by S&M and 2+2.

06-13-2002, 07:04 PM
Ummmmm.....hmmmmmm.....let me see....Oh, I almost forgot that I have an appointment and I'm already late! I have to log off now and leave immediately! Sorry I can't answer your question! Bye....

06-13-2002, 07:12 PM
The most important thing that you have to know about human nature is that people often act strong when they're weak and act weak when they're strong. Sometimes they reverse it. They act strong when they're strong and act weak when they're weak. These are extremely important distinctions that you must be aware of if you are to take your people skills to the next level. The rest is just details.

06-13-2002, 08:26 PM
"It would be nice if we could expect some complete and fair reviews on material not produced by S&M and 2+2."

We have been down this path before, and the fact of the matter is that I have produced many favorable reviews for non-Two Plus Two authors. See my book Gambling Theory and Other Topics where this review, that you so unhappy with came from.

06-13-2002, 11:51 PM
You asked, "Has anyone read ‘POKER How to win at the great American game” by David A. Daniel? I have heard no comments from the poker press."

You got a response from a guy who could be considered a part of the poker press. And who happens to run the forum you posted your question on. (Even after it looks like you didn't read Gambling Theory, which is a must read. I think mine is the older one with fewer reviews I must admit, so maybe you have the older one too.) After getting a reasoned response you say, "It would be nice if we could expect some complete and fair reviews on material not produced by S&M and 2+2." It is fine to disagree with someone's answer, but when you solicit comments it is not fair to make a personal attack on the person who responded to you.

Not to be too critical, but it is not apparent that you were able to fully "...apply those people skills in my personal life." Nor was it obvious that "...They work." It's good you took poker more seriously after reading the book though. That will have some value I am sure.

06-14-2002, 01:26 AM
No personal attack was indended, just a difference in opinion.

06-14-2002, 06:05 AM
Yes, but you made a statement that was false. I pride myself on the accuracy of my reviews and I understand that they are influential and are accompanied by much responsibility. Your statement implied that our business ethics at Two Plus Two are not what they should be, and that is just not the case.

06-14-2002, 09:59 AM
I'd like to know if there was anything that Mason DID like about Daniel's book.

06-14-2002, 10:04 AM
You are right. I stand corrected.

06-14-2002, 11:10 AM
in elko nev this weekend...red lion..apply your knowledge...gl

06-14-2002, 05:43 PM
You wasted your money. Mason's review is all too accurate.

06-14-2002, 05:47 PM

06-14-2002, 08:49 PM
Well, it is written in an entertaining style, and I guess it has some value in the sense that you can see how bizarre some people think about poker.