PDA

View Full Version : How to tell two pair???

revoohc
10-12-2003, 09:50 PM
Sorry to post so many questions tonight but just had another interesting hand. That has given me a question. How do most of you tell if a player has two pair w/o a pair on the board.

Here is an example hand:

Party 3/6
I am in the UTG with AK
There are two bb in this hand

I call to change up my play. emp folds and everyone else calls and/or checks

Flop: As, 5s, 8c
blinds check, I bet, 2 folds, lmp raises, fold to sb who re-raises, bb folds, I cap, lmp and sb call.

- I am thinking that I am either up against pocket A's or I'm in the lead/tied with my AK. Possibly up against flush draw, but I am doubting it. Right now I believe to be up against some sort of A pair.

Turn - 4h
sb checks, I bet, both call

River - 2s
sb checks (good, should not be a flush), I bet, and both call

Results - below my comments

----------
How can you get a read on this sort of hand? Obviously, if I had done my normal play of raising with AK, this might not have been an issue. However, I had have several recent hands that where raiseable pre-flop including AK so I was trying to vary my play this hand afraid if I would come out with a raise I would have lost all the players.

With tptk after the flop, I felt fully justified in capping the bets. Normally I would be ahead at this point. With the betting capping on the flop, I would be expecting AA to raises on the turn. If I had 2 pair, I would have been betting the turn since I would be expecting to be up against A's, but most likely ahead.

Anyway, without any action on the turn or river I am figuring that I am ahead at this point since I have definetly said I have Aces.

Is my thinking and/or logic wrong? This is not the first time something like this has happened so I am trying to make sure that I don't have a hole in my game here.

Thanks,

revoohc

Results -

sb wins with 8d, 5d
lmp had ak

ajizzle
10-12-2003, 11:19 PM
you can never be sure because someone who's ramming and jamming may have top pair, two pair, trips, be on a draw, or just bluffing. It's reaaaallly hard to differentiate between someone who's flopped 2 pair and someone with trips.