PDA

View Full Version : Some kind of a etiquette'question

PiquetteAces
10-12-2003, 09:46 PM
There is a hand I played few days ago on a sit&go 18 players ' 30$ - NoLimit hold' em on pokerstars .

We are down to seven and I have a below the average stack of 3000T$ . Blinds are 100-200 , and no antes . I got QQ and and make it 700 from UTG+1 . They fold to the cutoff ( chip lesder with 5500T$ ) who raises 1300T$ more ( 2000T$ total ) . And the button calls all-in ( he has 1800T$ ) in a micro-second after the cut-off raises . A so quick call all-in tell me " AA ! " .

So I fold . Cutoff open AK and button : ...AA .

I was right .

If the button would have hesitate more , and request a " TIME " , and finally calls , I would have been confused . and would have maybe move all-in ( calling isn't an option , it would put 2/3 of my stack in ) . But having him to quick call make my decision easier .

So my question is : " If in a PL or NL , cash-game or tournement , online or live , there is action in front of me , and I have the best possible hand ( at this point of the hand ) or almost , and when it comes to you , your options are only " call-all-in " or " fold " , is it correct to act , like hesitate a bit ( even if holding the nut ) in the purpose of not giving obvious information about your hand because you know that your opponent know you enough to know that you woudn't call so fast on this spot without the nut ?"

crockpot
10-12-2003, 10:48 PM
in general i am more suspicious of a big hand when someone takes a really long time before putting in a lot of chips, because this is often an act. most of the time someone who does a "what the hell?" all in will do so instantly.

i strongly recommend that in games like this you take a standard four or five seconds to act to avoid giving off tells, and only take longer if you really need to think about something.

Al_Capone_Junior
10-13-2003, 03:03 PM
obviously his instantaneous action gave his hand away, and I've seen others do the same with aces (do something to give away their hand). You can always take time if you want to live, and you should in this situation. I sometimes take time for no reason too, just to throw people off. Of course I don't take an unreasonable length of time....

al