PDA

View Full Version : new to n.l. & need advice

JTrout
10-12-2003, 11:08 AM
I've played app 30,000 hands of 3-6 on party, winning a little over 1 BB/hr. This week, to break the monotony, I wondered into the $25 no-limit Hold'em games on Party.
I've read as many poker books as I could get my hands on; however, always with a slant toward limit HE. And its been a couple of years since reading TOP, Essays, and Ciaffione's. If my memory serves, TOP would best speed my learning of no-limit.
First thing that is obvious to me when sitting in these games, no-limit is as different to limit as tennis is to ping-pong. I'm out of my element.
Second thing, what a great game. Much more difficult decisions, strategy, and need to observe opponents.
Well, as with many newbies, I got hit over the head with the deck! I played about 600 hands and I'm up $224. Fun! Fun!
These games have consisted of very loose, passive players, who almost always call. and occasionally push everything in. So I have been playing a ridiculous # of hands, about 50% (in 3-6 I played about 20%). It seems the implied odds in these games justifies playing any connectors, any suited, any two for 50c. I expect to wise up with experience, and I guess thats why I'm writing this.
The one strategy that I've used is limping with even my big hands and seeing the flop. Because I've limped in with so many trash hands, it sticks out like a sore thumb when I actually raise pre-flop. Consequently, I either win a small pot, or lose a big one. But I've busted a couple of people limping w/ AK and getting them with a poor kicker. Now, I know this can't be the best strategy for no-limit; but it seems the easiest for me to play. I need advice. I'd like to continue playing no-limit (or pot-limit) but I don't want to be the fish at the table /images/graemlins/smile.gif.
I appreciate your replies.
Speck