PDA

View Full Version : Play Poker Like the Pros

Dizzy Cow
10-12-2003, 12:38 AM
I've read the forums for a while, and references to Phil Hellmuth's "Play Poker Like the Pros" always seem to come up (usually saying how worthless it is.) I haven't read it, and i don't feel like shelling out the money for it, but I'm just wondering if it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

sucka
10-12-2003, 02:03 AM
I read a little bit of it on a recent trip to my local Border's bookstore. I obviously didn't read the entire thing but what I did read I didn't think was horrible. I think the point is - there are better books if you are trying to learn.

slavic
10-12-2003, 03:32 AM
It's pretty basic stuff. The only thing in there that is just gawd awfull is his basic limit Hold'em strategy.

In summary. Play only pairs 99 - AA (maybe AK)

Raise and Reraise, call cold, it doesn't matter, Jam them all the way to the river.

Now if you use his strategy, you can sure tell what your opponent has. No doubt about it.

Ed Miller
10-12-2003, 11:52 AM
Actually, the hands on his beginner's list are AA-77, AK, and AQ. Preflop he has you raise with any of these hands, no matter how many bets it is to you (though he concedes that perhaps it might be correct to just call (?!) with AQ or 77 if a particularly conservative person makes it three bets in front of you). He has you folding every other hand preflop. He later has you add a few hands once you have progressed beyond the beginner stage.

In short, his advice is bizarre and will get you in trouble very quickly if you follow it to the letter.

crockpot
10-12-2003, 01:37 PM
oh, don't worry, it is.

the sections introducing you to non-hold 'em games are actually not that bad for total beginners. but the hold 'em advice is terrible and will set you back if you pay any attention to it.

Jim Kuhn
10-12-2003, 03:23 PM
From the excerpts I have read the advice seems very bad. For experienced players it should be very good. Don't read the book but hope many of your opposition has.

Dizzy Cow
10-13-2003, 03:34 AM
Whoah! And I though folding 9-9 to 8 All-ins was a BAD move. Thx Phil!
Seriously, though, I don't think "fold everything but 9-9 or better, which you should then jam the pot with" would win against the people I play who make a routine out of playing Q-2s from EP; it doesn't even seem viable as a rough guideline.

jbc
10-13-2003, 06:49 AM
Bought it cause I like poker books and Hellmuth, so what could be better - a poker book by Hellmuth!! I know he's kinda jerky, but I think his commentary was really good on some of the older WSOPs and I just think he's funny. Plus, he's obviously a lot better than me.

I did buy and read this book - I'm basically a hold em player but do play omaha in home games. There are definitely better books for hold em, like everyone else, I'd suggest Jones WLLHE and of course TOP for poker in general (has anyone not read these?). Like others have said, the 'top ten' hands he recommends beginners play are just way too tight. Talk about rocks. I thought some of the no-limit and tourney advice was good though.

And, the Omaha and other section intros are good as well.

Advice - see if you can check this one out at your library, or stick to the other books.

jbc

indyace
10-14-2003, 01:37 AM
go to borders read 6 pages then put it back on the shelf. your questions should be answered. if not buy the book and quit playing poker stay home and read...