PDA

View Full Version : Straight

kingstalker
10-12-2003, 12:28 AM
I was playing a gmae at pokerstars NL 25./.50 tables, I had 7-8 and the board was like this 9-Q-6 and then the turn came 10, so one guy bet 4 dollars and I rerasied him to 11, but then he went all in, now I was looking at the board and I thought, Damn, I bet he has K-J, but I went ahead and called him and of course he had K-J and I lost 50 on that pot, should I of just called his orginal four dollar bet, or did I do the right thing by raiseing, but then did the wrong thing by calling his all in, especially when I guessed correctly what he had? Or do you just have to pay your opponet off in that type of situation?

mrpurple
10-12-2003, 12:47 AM
Let me be the first, but probably not the last, to ask what where you even doing in the hand with that start?

But, given that you are in I'd say yeah just call. you had the bottom end of a straight. Most times I've got that and get raised by that much, its because someone wants to show me the nuts.

I don't play alot of no limit. But to me this is the primary difference. if its limit and you get raised back you just call him down and only lose a couple more bets. Here you got to be ready willing and able to bail. The hard laydown may be no limits most profitable play.

kingstalker
10-12-2003, 01:03 AM
Well I was on the button and I usually will play cards like that when I have postion, it was a unrasied pot.

PAUL-IN
10-12-2003, 07:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me be the first, but probably not the last, to ask what where you even doing in the hand with that start?

[/ QUOTE ]

in hindsight it is easy to question why he played an "inferior hand" to begin with, especially because he told us he lost, but if you're telling me that you've never played 78 in late position to get lucky, your game is one-dimensional and you prob don't win much.

early in my no-liimit experience at foxwoods i got caught with a similar hand, playing 8T when another guy had KT and we both filled a gutshot. like your hand, i had position on him, and he fired out on the turn when the Q hit, and I did not stop to think what HE had, I was only concerned with the fact that I just hit a gutshot that I bet on the come. When I did that, without a thought i reraised him. Expensive lesson.

Whenever I'm at the ass-end str8 draws, unless I detect otherwise, it's best to play safe, look at the pot, and if it "seems" big enough for the value of your hand, don't get greedy with an ass-end made hand. I would have just called the turn(unless there was information telling me otherwise).

folding on the turn or a blank river would be pretty tough; you can beat a LOT of hands(twopair, trips). not every hand can be won, but you can learn something from almost every hand. use the knowledge positively. : )

oneeye13
10-12-2003, 10:52 PM
bad luck. seems like a lot of posts come from people who got a hand that was destined to lose money. it's gambling... he's going to lose his money in that situation too.

C M Burns
10-12-2003, 11:56 PM
how much more the all in is makes a big diference, from the 50 you said it seems like another 30 or so and about the pot, not a huge amount more but sig, any more than this I would definatly fold, but in this case a call isn't unthinkable since you have alot invested ralative to the call, he could maybe have trips, but if he had qq 99 or tt he probably would have raised pf, so may lead to fold.
and 78 esp suited is a great hand to play in nl if you can get in cheap and from later, KJ is a much worse hand to play it's only value would be if suited and even then it's dangerous it will win small pots and lose big ones, where the reverse is true of 78, of course yours is the exeption.

Ignatius
10-13-2003, 08:42 AM
If there was a resonable chance to take it down, you should have bet the flop when it got checked to you (you don't give enough information to make a judgement here).
On turn, once he made it $50, under most cirumstances you can safely muck. You don't mention the position of your opponent but him not betting the flop makes twopair very unlikely and unless he was UTG or behind a huge field, he probably would have raised with tens preflop. So by calling, you're really hoping that he's overplaying T9 now after checking his middle pair on the flop. Not good enough to call an overbet of almost twice the pot.