PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and a question

Dizzy Cow
10-11-2003, 10:41 PM
I've been reading these forums for a while and it seemed like a helpful, good place. I've just started playing Hold'em in the past few months and I'm realizing how little I actually know about the game, so sorry if my questions are a bit stupid. To start off, I'd like some criticism of my play on a particular hand:

PokerStars Tourney, NLHE, small buy-in, very loose table (as if there are any other kinds at Stars low buy-ins /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

I'm on the button with 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Two limpers to me, I limp, SB limps, BB checks.
Flop is 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Checked to me, I bet about the size of the pot, SB and BB call.
Turn is (9 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif) 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.
SB puts in a small bet, BB goes all-in, and with most of my money in the pot, I call, BB calls.
SB has K /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, BB has Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Comments on my play?

Nottom
10-12-2003, 12:28 AM
First off: Welcome to the boards!

Second: You should probably check out the tourney board if you want some good responces concerning tourney stuff.

Third: You don't give the stack sizes, but your play looks fine to me. I might overbet the pot on the flop at loose tourney table with the flush draw out there since top pair will often stick around, but you can often push out some weaker draws such as the gutshot that got you here or a smaller flush draw.

Hope you filled up on the river and got in a good case of suck, resuck.

jbc
10-12-2003, 07:21 PM
Dizzy,

Greetings. I tend to agree with nottom, there's not much more that could have been done here except overbet or even push all in on the flop. Of course with 20/20 hindsight and knowing the other's cards, I'd have to believe they wouldn't have called an all in with their draws.

RE: the turn play, that is a tougher one. What did you put BB on before you called? Two big pair, still a gutshot draw, or four flush? That would have been tough for me to call, but you did have some outs - one 5 for quads and three Ks, three 9s and three 10s for full house. Course, you didn't necessarily know those were your outs, but that's why we love this game. Right?

jbc

Dizzy Cow
10-12-2003, 09:26 PM
I put BB on a flush draw from the flop because of his overcall on the big flop bet. The fact that he missed it on the turn made me think he was getting desperate (since by this point most of the 3 of us had our money in the pot), and he was just semi-bluffing in hopes of making it. Well, good call that he was drawing, but i couldn't see the BB risking nearly all of his chips with a gutshot straight draw with a flush draw on the board after the flop, so i took it for a flush draw. Oops. Too bad I didn't fill up on the end. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif