PDA

View Full Version : "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" DVD Movie Review

Mark Heide
10-11-2003, 10:08 PM
This is a great film written and directed by John Huston starring Humphrey Bogart and Walter Huston. It was originally released in 1947. The quality of the DVD restoral is well defined. If you had ever seen this broadcast in washed out black and white, you will be impressed with its crisp defined shades of gray.

After not seeing this movie for many years I had forgotten how great it was. The story is terrific! For those of you who shun black and white movies you may want to reconsider on this one. The new DVD edition is a two disc set that includes documentaries on John Huston and the movie. It includes two Bugs Bunny cartoons, trailers of Bogart movies, a comedy short, and a radio show version of the story. This set gets a 10 out of 10.

Good Luck

Mark

Cyrus
10-12-2003, 04:12 AM
I saw again The Usual Suspects DVD the other day and, in the extras, there was this interview with its (so young!) director, Bryan Singer. He related how he was in Cannes to show his film there, in 1995, when it came out, and it met with tremendous enthusiasm by both the French audience and the critics, and at one event he was approached by an older French woman of the cinema, whose name he doesn't reveal, and she took hold of his arm, looked him sternly in the eye, somewhat aggressively and said "Young man, John Huston would be so proud of you!"

Mark Heide
10-13-2003, 02:28 AM
Cyrus,

I think John Huston is considered an icon by most in the film industry. At the time The Treasure of the Sierra Madre was made, most people in the industry thought it was going to be a flop due to its dark subject matter and anti-capitalist views that were expressed in John Hustons writing, but Jack Warner believed in John Hustons talent and believed that it was the greatest movie Warner Bros. had ever made. It turned out to win three Acadamy Awards. Many people thought that it was the best picture Humphrey Bogarts had made.

andyfox
10-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Huston directed both his father and his daughter to Oscar winning performances, quite an accomplishment. And I thought his own performance in Chinatown was electrifying.

Now if we can just expunge Annie from his oeuvre . . .

Mark Heide
10-14-2003, 03:28 AM
Andyfox,

I thought Chinatown was a great movie too and I'll agree with you on Annie.

Good Luck

Mark