PDA

View Full Version : 2 AA Hands - Played Correctly?

Utah
10-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Did I play these 2 AA hands too agressively?

Hand 1: 1-2 Pokerstars
I am in mid position and I have everyone covered
EP limps
I limp
next player goes all-in for $12
3 callers to me (about $50 in the pot now)
Perfect situation for me, but what do I do?
I raised it to $212
Everyone folds except all-in guy (who wins with his 9,4 when he hits a full house)
I figured that since several players stayed in for a 6X raise, one of them might get attached to his hand.
Would a smaller raise have been more appropriate?

Hand 2: 1-2 Pokerstars
I am in MP and have everyone covered
solid EP limps
I raise to $8.00
All fold to EP who calls (he has to have a pair or high cards)
Flop is 7,7,3
He checks and I bet $20 (at a $19 pot)
He fold?
Should I have bet less or checked to lead him on since I knew I was ahead and he had no draw?

ZeeJustin
10-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Your plays were poor, but your thinking in hindsight is perfect.
In this first scenario, I would raise it to about $50 personally, and in the second I would probably bet a third or half of the pot.
Btw, what's your name on stars? I play the 1/2 NL there under ZeeJustin, usually 4 tables at once.

Utah
10-11-2003, 10:11 PM
I play under Brandy on Pokerstars and B-Slap on Paradise.

We have played together. See ya on Pokerstars.

crockpot
10-12-2003, 12:23 AM
unless you're playing against idiots, the minimum hand you can expect to get a call for $212 is kings. if this were party, or even ub, i might agree with the all-in here. but i think most stars players have learned that calling this kind of bet with a hand like AQs is suicide.

hand 2, if you know you are ahead, your correct play depends on how aggressive he is. if he is unlikely to fall for the bait if you check the flop, go ahead and bet about the size of the pot (as you did here), hoping he will call with a smaller overpair. i might check the turn in this case to induce a river bet or call from him, although this is dangerous since he has two outs to win a lot of your stack.

straightforwardly betting is a lot less risky here, so there isn't anything too wrong with it.